Fans of Early Film: More Treasures from American Film Archives!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Aug 6, 2004.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

2. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

I saw some of the first edition playing in a big record store in downtown Toronto and was so amazed I asked the guy if I could use the remote to have a quick look at some of the other goodies contained therein, and he was kind enough to oblige. I didn't have the money then, and they didn't have any in stock on my next visit, so it's been wish-listed at Deep Discount for their next 20% off sale.

The second volume is available there for pre-order at $58.48. This price might not be in effect, however, by the time of the next sale (presuming they even have one at Christmas this year).

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=IMA002271

Amazon's even a bit cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

As is the Digital Eyes, where it's $54.95 with another $5 off if you use the code JULY2004 before Aug. 15.

http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=IMA002271

3. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Amazon's price will be $50 if you manage to get STL for it.

4. Brian Thibodeau

Actually, I ended up going with the Digital Eyes discount, so it came to $49.95, and for nearly 9 hours of programming, that ain't bad.

5. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Well I never ordered anything from them, so I don't know them, whereas Amazon, I've used them almost exclusively for 5 years. Still a nice deal, if they're dependable.

6. Brian Thibodeau

Here's hopin'. It's my first time using them, but I've heard decent things.

Can't wait to get the first set, too. Looking at the info posted over at www.filmpreservation.org only makes me hope that we'll one day see sets like these for early international film, particularly early European and Asian pieces. I guess pieces like the clip from 1921's LOTUS BLOSSOM, the "earliest known film from a Chinese American company," which is included in MORE TREASURES will have to suffice.

I also noticed the inclusion of the prologue from THE PASSAIC TEXTILE STRIKE (1926, 18 min.), which I've long hoped I could see after reading about it in Kevin Brownlow's phenomenal book "Behind The Mask of Innocence: Sex, Violence, Predjudice, Crime; Films of Social Conscience in the Silent Era," which is arguably one of the greatest books on early social cinema ever written.

The books in these sets alone look fantastic.

7. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Brian, you and I look like the only two people on this forum interested in this. I don't pretend to be very knowledgable in this area of film, but I find it fascinating and the first set is definitely worth owning. I also have Kino's The Movies Begin set, and that's another mind-blowing collection. It's basically the closest we will ever come to a time machine, and these early films allow us to go back to the 19th century! If that doesn't blow your mind, I don't know what will. And most of the films are very entertaining too, of course.

8. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I'm interested too, these do appeal to me but my wallet is wearing thin right now. I do raid the Kino vaults often and I am picking up all of the Slapstick Symposium, they take priority with me. Also, I'm about to make a huge import, at least for me so I may not be able to get this day one but then again I may try as I know they go up afterwards.

As for Digital Eyes, I have not ordered from them but I do know from friends that they are the same company as Deep Discount DVD and DVD Planet, their prices may be different but they come from the same place. I think they are spreading out their sales amongst the different stores. dvdaf has a nice price comparison engine with these and a few others.

9. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

oh... there are others interested.

The first set is excellent if maybe overpriced. It's more than worth a rental anyway.

Yes, The Movies Begin is another great set. The Origins of Film is from the Library of Congress/ Smithsonian and is also worthwhile.

I've been cutting back on my already selective purchasing, but this one I'll likely get.

re: Digital Eyes -
    I have used them often and would recommend them. As DDD's prices have been slowly rising, it can pay to shop around.

10. Brian Thibodeau

Willard

Thanks for the mention of THE ORIGINS OF FILM. I wasn't even aware of that title, but it appears to be out of print with used copies fetching more than street value. I've had THE MOVIES BEGIN wishlisted at Deep Discount for awhile and, like the others, I'm just hoping they have another sale at Christmas.

Paul

I'm no expert in this stuff either, but like yourself, I find it fascinating, moreso as I've aged. When I was in my teens, silent movies held at best a tangential interest to me, and I only felt compelled to watch the "classics" because they were classics. Back then, a lot of the shorter pieces included in the box sets mentioned in this thread were unavailable. The series that really hit me hard as to the importance of this era was Brownlow & Gill's staggeringly entertaining 80's documentary series HOLLYWOOD; A CELEBRATION OF THE AMERICAN SILENT FILM. I first saw some of it on PBS, then spent years tracking down several of the individual tapes in bargain bins and STILL watch them from time to time. Here's the set at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=video

Someone recently started a thread in this forum about the MGM: WHEN THE LION ROARED documentary and its lack of availability on DVD and the similar absence of this series was also discussed. I guess we can only wait.

For a long time, nothing seriously topped this series for breadth of coverage and inclusion of footage, at least until these new boxes. Not long after watching the HOLLYWOOD sereis, I happened upon Brownlow's books THE PARADE'S GONE BY and THE END OF INNOCENCE in a couple of used bookstores and, believe it or not, left them on my own shelf for the better part of 15 years, mainly because I felt I didn't have enough knowledge of modern film to really start digging that far back. I finally cracked both of them in the past two years and reading them, I believe, was so much more fulfilling in light of knowing what came later and why.

Another excellent book to read in conjunction with many of the exploitative films in these sets is Eric Schaefer's excellent BOLD, DARING, SHOCKING, TRUE: A HISTORY OF EXPLOITATION FILMS 1919-1959. Again, if you're familiar with exploitation films of the last 50 years, or think they were invented in the last 50 years (like roughies, Blaxploitation, slasher films, the Corman canon, Giallo, etc.), this thorough, accessibly-written primer provides wonderful insight into the sordid history of satiating the American public's unending fascination and repulsion with the darker side of society.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I love the first volume and I'm glad to see this second one - albeit surprised, since so many years have passed since the first was released to DVD.

12. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

From what I can tell, there is no overlap in the content with that of The Movies Begin dvds...

I plan on picking up both Treasures series and the Movies Begin set...

I thank you for this great info but my wallet doesnt...[​IMG]

13. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

Well, I have to chime in with a "Me Too" so you guys don't feel so wierd. I loved "The Movies Begin" set from Kino, and this thread made me pull the trigger on the Treasures sets. I'm looking forward to them!

14. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I shall take full responsibility for that. [​IMG]

15. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I'm all for these releases too. There are many of us around. You just have to give the correct hand signal.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

I was introduced to the first set in class, and the contents are quite astounding. FWIW, I've seen the first set in libraries often, so it's avaliable to people like me who didn't put down the money to purchase the set. Hopefully that will be the case for "More," too.

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I was so bowled over by the first set that I wrote a feature article on it for digitallyObsessed when it first came out, since it needed more attention than just a review. It's a frankly astonishing set, and am very much looking forward to the second volume, which sounds as if it's teeming with just as many goodies.

The Origins of Film set is OK but it's recycled LD transfers so from that standpoint it's a bit on the disappointing side.

18. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

Let me echo all of the positive comments about this wonderful set, which includes a Minnesota short filmed just outside the Twin Cities. I wrote a feature article about the set when it was released, and then I picked it as the best DVD of the year a few months later.

One of the best things about the set is its detailed production notes for each and every short--on the disc or in the accompanying booklet. You don't just see the film shorts in all of their restored glory, but you also learn about them, too.

Highly entertaining and educational. An essential purchase for any film-history buff (and if you're not one, you will be after viewing the set).

19. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Part of my good fortune was that Mr. Scott Simmon, the curator who wrote the notes to the first set, as well as the upcoming set, was my professor in film class. He is a professor at UC Davis, in case some of you wish to contact him.