Fandango purchases Vudu!

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Lots of reports from users on Vudu's Facebook page regarding the removal of movies from people's libraries. Some are saying that it's a crackdown on illegally obtained codes. Just FYI.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Lots of reports from users on Vudu's Facebook page regarding the removal of movies from people's libraries. Some are saying that it's a crackdown on illegally obtained codes. Just FYI.
Titles are being removed that were obtained via Instawatch where the e-mail used to purchase the disc did not match the e-mail used to redeem the digital code.

Someone would buy an Instawatch labeled disc, scan their receipt with the WalMart app signed in under their WalMart e-mail, get the digital code, then sell the code (knowing there would also be a printed code in the disc case they could redeem). The person who bought the code would then redeem it under their e-mail, which would obviously be different than the e-mail the code had been generated for.

Basically put, if any codes you bought were originally Instawatch codes, you will lose the movie.

Where people are getting screwed is if they legitimately had separate WalMart and Vudu login e-mail addresses. But in Vudu's defense, they do offer the ability to merge those two to prevent something like this from happening.

Last edited:

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Hi Vudu customers,

Thank you for trying out our Family Play feature. Starting on July 20, 2020, Family Play will no longer be a supported option on our platform.

As a destination for your family’s video entertainment needs, we continue to provide a range of features that give you peace of mind to find the right content for each member of your household.

Vudu will still offer features such as Common Sense Media reviews (guidance and reviews from a parent’s point of view), Kids Mode (ability to set age limits on content your kids can browse and watch), and Parental Controls (managing purchase options protected by a PIN). All these features will continue to be supported on Vudu so you can enjoy your classic favorites and discover new ones worry-free.

At Vudu, we are committed to being your family’s streaming entertainment destination.

Thank you for continuing to use Vudu.

Sincerely,
The Vudu Team

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Hi Vudu customers,

Thank you for trying out our Family Play feature. Starting on July 20, 2020, Family Play will no longer be a supported option on our platform.

As a destination for your family’s video entertainment needs, we continue to provide a range of features that give you peace of mind to find the right content for each member of your household.

Vudu will still offer features such as Common Sense Media reviews (guidance and reviews from a parent’s point of view), Kids Mode (ability to set age limits on content your kids can browse and watch), and Parental Controls (managing purchase options protected by a PIN). All these features will continue to be supported on Vudu so you can enjoy your classic favorites and discover new ones worry-free.

At Vudu, we are committed to being your family’s streaming entertainment destination.

Thank you for continuing to use Vudu.

Sincerely,
The Vudu Team
So much for those promised "new features and offerings"

we will be bringing you new features and offerings to enjoy in the months ahead.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That’s a ‘feature’ I don’t mind seeing booted.
I have mixed feelings. There is a conservative family with an 11-year old daughter we watch movies with on Saturday evenings about 2-3 times a month, and when they saw that Vudu had a Family Play option on a lot of PG-13 movies (which she is too young to watch yet), they were open to allowing us to include many of those as possible options. I haven't had much in the way of new family-friendly movies lately, so we were kind of excited that she may get the chance to see Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman with much of the language removed. I hate watching TV-versions of movies (although some of those are just downright funny, like The Exorcist, Animal House, etc.), but hey if her parents were willing to let her watch the edited version two years early, I'm okay with that. I even added a Family Play filter to the My Movies database. Now I have to go in and back that one out.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
My only issue with this is the fact that the press release announcing the sale states "While there will be many more exciting things to share in the months ahead, nothing about the Vudu experience is changing."

:rolleyes:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ekelks