What's new

Fandango purchases Vudu! (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think I may just get my CC bank after Vudu for a refund for my GC purchase if they don't respond to my emailed support request very soon... and then probably completely give up trying to buy anymore digitals from them...

Had wanted to buy at least Frankenstein in 4K for $5 over the weekend, but that sale's over now...

_Man_
You will probably need to give them a phone call, then.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think many of us need to call Vudu out on this FAQ statement from their website:

Merger FAQ.jpg

If this were true, then why are some movies only in stereo on Vudu when they were in 5.1 on FN? Why are some movies cropped in the wrong aspect ratio on Vudu when they were in their director-intended aspect ratio on FN? Why are some movies only in SD on Vudu when they were in HD or UHD on FN?

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I think many of us need to call Vudu out on this FAQ statement from their website:

View attachment 113210

If this were true, then why are some movies only in stereo on Vudu when they were in 5.1 on FN? Why are some movies cropped in the wrong aspect ratio on Vudu when they were in their director-intended aspect ratio on FN? Why are some movies only in SD on Vudu when they were in HD or UHD on FN?
VUDU's handling of this is horrible!!!!!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
A glimmer of hope from Paramount?
Dear Customer,

Unfortunately, Paramount does not have direct oversight to the services provided on Vudu or FandangoNOW, however, we can understand the scenario of certain offers not having parity on their sites in their recent merger. If 5.1 audio is available for a film, we make it available for their storefront in the license.

If you are able to provide the Paramount films you are observing this scenario of only stereo (or partial list of titles thereof), we can collate and provide to the service for hopeful remedy on their side soon.

Thank you.

Best,
Support Group

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Paramount's further response after I sent them a list of movies:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for providing the requested information. We have passed this along to the appropriate parties for review.

Best,
Support Group
🤞

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I sent similar e-mails to the other studios yesterday, and have yet to hear back.

What was most interesting in Paramount's initial response was "If 5.1 audio is available for a film, we make it available for their storefront in the license." This is the exact opposite of what Vudu has been saying for years, putting the blame on the studios, then refusing to do anything about it.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Universal's response:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Universal Digital Copy support. We have escalated this internally to the applicable departments. If you have not done so yet, you can link your Movies Anywhere & VUDU accounts. In the interim, you can enjoy your movie with 5.1 via Movies Anywhere. More information can be found at https://moviesanywhere.com/settings/connect.

Thank You,

Universal Digital Copy Support

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, looks like Vudu's finally fixed whatever issue that broke my account's ability to buy anything (other than GCs). Still a bit bummed that I had to miss getting Frankenstein in 4K, but that seems to be the only one I know/wanted from Vudu and missed over the last few weeks.

Guess I won't have to chase them down for a refund on my GC now...

_Man_

I think I may just get my CC bank after Vudu for a refund for my GC purchase if they don't respond to my emailed support request very soon... and then probably completely give up trying to buy anymore digitals from them...

Had wanted to buy at least Frankenstein in 4K for $5 over the weekend, but that sale's over now...

_Man_

As for purchasing now through Vudu, I only do it under very particular circumstances -- (1) the price must be as cheap as anything I would ever see at iTunes, (2) it must be in 4K (because Vudu doesn't give free 4K upgrades like Apple), and (3) it must be a Movies Anywhere title. All three of these criteria happen rarely, so I do not buy from Vudu very often. I did buy Frankenstein in 4K for $5 last weekend, but that is the only item I have purchased from them in many months.

Yep, the only exception I make to that is for TV series. Vudu does seem to offer better (or more frequent) sales on those -- at least the limited stuff of interest to me -- and there's no free upgrade to 4K for those on iTunes AFAIK. Not even sure if any TV series are in 4K on those platforms. And I have ended up defaulting to Vudu for my small collection of TV series on digital (much of it from DC code redemptions)...

They do also seem to have at least as "frequent" (for lack of a better word) worthwhile sales on 4K Disney/Pixar/Marvel movies as iTunes, and that's actually what I bought a bunch a couple months back when they also had a 20%-off sale on GCs, which combined to knock my price down to ~$6/title.

But yeah, a sale priced GC (15%-off bought over the weekend) would be worthless if I can't actually use it at all (anymore) when those infrequent sales happen...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Well, looks like Vudu's finally fixed whatever issue that broke my account's ability to buy anything (other than GCs). Still a bit bummed that I had to miss getting Frankenstein in 4K, but that seems to be the only one I know/wanted from Vudu and missed over the last few weeks.

Guess I won't have to chase them down for a refund on my GC now...

_Man_
You might get another chance as I suspect that title will be on sale again next month.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well, I finally got a response to my letters to Fandango's CEO, Paul Yanover, and have a call scheduled this week with VP of Content, Cameron Douglas.
Cameron would like to set up some time to speak with you regarding the discrepancies in quality of titles in your Vudu account VS what you had in your FandangoNOW account.
I'll let you all know how that conversation goes.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just got off the phone with Cameron Douglas, VP of Content at Vudu/Fandango. He at first apologized for the lack of response from his company regarding any merger issues. He also stated that this process of acquiring titles for customers who are having issues is taking longer than expected, but that anyone who is still missing titles (either entirely or has the wrong resolution) should file a ticket either by phone or e-mail. The problem is that they are dealing with over 250,000 titles in their catalog, and the first priority with the merger was to make sure customers were able to play their title (unfortunately, regardless of what resolution was available on Vudu). The other problem is that many movies have changed hands multiple times, with some not even available anymore for purchase (The Peanuts holiday specials were especially tricky, he said, as those rights have gone from Paramount to Warner and now exclusively to Apple).

So, to re-iterate, if you still have movies that are missing or in the wrong resolution, customers should provide a list to Vudu support so that they can be made aware (and if you filed a ticket back in August and still have not heard anything back, file a new one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks