What's new

Fandango purchases Vudu! (2 Viewers)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
...which means Vudu is now owned by a combo of NBC/Universal and Warner Brothers.

I can't see it bring much change to consumers, really. It will be interesting to see if Vudu goes away in favor of FandangoNow...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wasn’t this previously announced? I kinda remember a thread where we were wondering whether the Vudu interface or Fandango now one would be kept.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Do you plan to keep both online video services brands – FandangoNow and Vudu – or combine them into one?

Our priority is to ensure that Vudu customers and partners are given the highest level of service during this time of transition. There will be no immediate changes to either service. In the months ahead, we will explore ways to bring great online entertainment experiences to our valued customers.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Not a fan of fandango.

Whatever Fandango is now is a moot point because we are clearly going to get a new service/app out of this.

There is an opportunity here for this to be something. You are going to have a service that has a feature none of the other services can match - theatrical ticket buying.

From a movie being in the theater to being at home, your movie purchasing can be covered under one roof and maybe in one transaction. Think about this - if FandangoNow can get your digital purchase at the time it gets your ticket purchase, iTunes will be cut out.

And with the service being owned by Universal and Warners, there some muscle there...

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
In addition to what Todd said I just don’t like their interface either. I doubt in the end it will affect me either way.
I agree - I find it much more difficult to find a movie in my library on their apps, not so much on the web (but I never stream from the web).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
According to the information Vudu sent to me, nothing is changing, just new ownership. This isn't a case of Fandango buying out a competitor just to dismantle them. The Vudu infrastructure and customer base is so much bigger and better than Fandango, they would be insane not to take advantage of its superiority. I think if a service gets shut down, it would be FandangoNow and those customers would be transplanted over to Vudu.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
1. Was Vudu purchased by Fandango? What does this mean for me?

Vudu has entered an agreement to be purchased by Fandango, the ultimate digital network for all things movies & TV. Vudu will continue to deliver an amazing experience; and we promise that the future will bring new exciting features, offerings, and other benefits. All your movies & TV shows will be safe on Vudu. You’ll continue to have access to them as always, across millions of devices.

2. Is Vudu shutting down?

No, we are not shutting down the Vudu service. Your movie and TV library on Vudu is safe. You will continue to have access to it as always.

3. Are my movies & TV library collections safe?

Yes. All the movies and TV shows you own on Vudu will still be there. You will continue to have access to them as always.

4. Can I still redeem digital copies on Vudu?

Yes, as always, you can redeem your digital copies at Vudu. InstaWatch auto redemptions at Walmart will continue to be supported.

5. Are my promotions codes, and offers still valid?

Yes, all your promotions codes and offers are still valid. Please follow the listed instructions to redeem them.

6. I signed up using my Walmart.com account. Will it still work?

Yes, you can continue using your Walmart.com account credentials to sign in to the Vudu service. In the months ahead, we will explore ways to bring great online entertainment experiences to our users.

7. I use Vudu on my Roku. Will that change?

Rest assured, nothing about your experience on any Vudu apps across devices will be different.

8. Vudu offers me new release movies before they are available on subscription services. Will that change?

Nothing about how and when we offer new releases or catalog titles will change. You will have the same great assortment anytime, anywhere.

9. Do you plan to keep both online video services brands – FandangoNow and Vudu – or combine them into one?

Our priority is to ensure that Vudu customers and partners are given the highest level of service during this time of transition. So, there will be no immediate changes to either service. In the months ahead, we will explore ways to bring great online entertainment experiences to our valued customers.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Our priority is to ensure that Vudu customers and partners are given the highest level of service during this time of transition. So, there will be no immediate changes to either service. In the months ahead, we will explore ways to bring great online entertainment experiences to our valued customers.
Hopefully this means that people's Fandango Now purchases will get rolled into their Vudu libraries, Fandango Now will go away, and "Vudu by Fandango" or whatever branding will endure going forward.

Vudu by far has the best UI and customer experience of the various digital lockers.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think most of us have a much better feeling about this than we did when Target Ticket was shut down (and customers transitioned to CinemaNow) or when Rovi sold CinemaNow to OnTV (after Best Buy sold CN to Rovi) and shuttered the service without notice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Next to iTunes. ;)
I find the Vudu app far superior to the AppleTV+ app on my Roku Ultra by just about every objective measure. For one thing: You can actually watch the extras on the Vudu app. I have to use my PC to watch the iTunes extras. Navigating the AppleTV+ app is also pokey compared to the Vudu app.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks