What's new

Fancy Progressive Scan DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

BrentCelmins

Auditioning
I'm in the process of building up to getting my new Sammy 43" DLP, and I'm going to need a new DVD player. Now, the TV has a Faroudja de-interlacer, so doesn't that imply that I can save some serious cash on a player? In other words, does the type progressive scan player matter with that television? Obviously, I'm not going to by an Apex or Orotron or whatever, but if I can buy a $99 Toshiba instead of a $300 Denon, then I'm happy to do so. Note that DVI output is not a requirement for me (obviously, since I'm asking about these lower end DVD players). The only other requirement besides progressive scan is the ability to player DVD-R's. So, comments and suggestions, please.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No, there is more to the good models than just the de-interlacer. The top-rated models like the Panasonic XP30 have excellent video circuitry for flat frequency response besides the Faroudja de-interlacer. Also its best to do the de-interlacer in the digital domain in the player. With an interlaced output (using the de-interlacer in the TV) you are converting the signal from digital to analog and back to digital in the TV, that can introduce some artifacts. I'd recommend a good top-rated Faroudja model like the Panasonic XP30 regardless of your TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks