"fancy" DVD player - does it exist?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Leo Kerr, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

May 10, 1999
    I suppose, in short, what I'm looking for is a stripped down HTPC. But I don't want an HTPC, I want a DVD player.

In short, I want a DVD player that has the following:

HD-15 output, preferabbly with selectable output resolution so I can plug it into my projector, already scaled to the 1024x768 panels.

Internal scaler. So when you give it an anamorphic disc for said XGA projector, it does the anamorphic decompression (horizontal stretch, not vertical compress) before scaling the image to the XGA panel.

Of course, with the above two, it would almost have to have a good de-interlacer; although I don't know what you're supposed to do when the film-based disc has the frame flags set wrong.

It seems so simple - to me. Do such things exist without getting a HTPC, and I'm just looking in the wrong directions?

Leo Kerr
    [email protected]
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    There is a new Samsung HD-931 DVD player that does up-conversion in the player and outputs through the DVI connector (which I think is a HD15 plug?)

But there is some controversy because the full name is DVI-CP Content Protection which means the player will talk to the destination device and NOT produce video unless it gets assured that the destination has no recorder attached.

You can read more about it in this thread: Samsung HD-931