Fan on HK AVR325

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by mofet_n, Aug 23, 2003.

1. mofet_n

mofet_n Extra

I just got the Satch live dvd and I was watching it on my system. During the second dvd, towards the end of it, the fan on my hk 325 just went crazy, making a loud noise (like a motor or something), and turning very fast. Now, I never noticed the fan working (maybe it does or maybe it doesn't) probably since it is very silent. And I always listen to about the average level on my ht. I have the hk open over a wood rack, in a open space. The level I was listening to was -25, -27, instead of the regular -30, -32, since the dvd wasn't recoded loud like the G3 dvd. Anyways, now it doesn't do that anymore, but should I do something or is this all just normal...

Thanks,
    satch rocks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

By loud, just how loud do you mean?

If the receiver had simply been working harder during a difficult, demanding stretch of audio the cooling fan will kick in. Some fans are louder than others. This would be normal.

If, on the other hand, you heard something like a grating noise or metal parts coming into contact, then there's a problem.

3. brandon*b

brandon*b Extra

I have an HK 325 and the fan does ocassionaly kick on when watching things in surround modes. I can easily hear it in the background and it is not "very silent" as you said you figured it would be. It sounds like your AVR is working fine. If it is squeaking, vibrating, or "rubbing", then I would worry, but if it sounds like a motor that circulates air, this is normal. Hope this helps.