What's new

fan noise w/ dlp (1 Viewer)

Grace

Stunt Coordinator
i had a 50" samsung plasma making crazy noise (said ~43db online) so i returned it. now bought a hlp6163w..supposedly 12db lower (~31db?)

of course they never put this in the manual so you have to dig for this information

any insight appreciated

My HLN packaging had an insert that addressed the normal "feeble sound" that may emanate from the set.

In fact it has 3 fans. Many variables contribute to whether or not you'll be disturbed by the sound: distance, ambient sounds from your home or home theater (hard drive of DVR, refridgerator compressor), location of the set (in a cabinet vs tabletop in front of a flat wall). It's a fact of life for DLP's, or anything that gets hot for that matter. It needs to cool.

Make sure you're not hearing the color wheel. Your HLP has an improved color wheel assembly over the stock HLN version which definetly had issues with bad bearings resulting in a "whining" or "buzzing" sound. I upgraded my color wheel with the "improved" version and I now only notice a slight fan noise when the audio is muted.

Even though the HLP has the improved colorwheel (supposedly has "air-bearings"), I'm sure they could still have issues. Does the sound you are hearing immediately resolve when you power down the set, or does it persist for a minute or two? If the sound does not diminish immediately, then you can bet it's one of the fans. If it does diminish immediately upon power-down, then it's probably the color wheel. Many tech's will replace the entire light-engine to fix this, while it is only necessary to replace the color wheel assembly. I did mine myself, and I'm no electronics genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks