Fan noise on rack amps??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Ok,..

I know this isn't in quite the right place, but I got no response in another forum, so,..

I hear a lot about fan noise of some of the popular rack mount amps. Just how bad is this? Are some of these things really so loud it bothers the viewers during a movie? I'm a kind of stuck regardless. I want to use a rack mount amp to power a couple subs,Can't aford a high end amp, without fans, but keep seeing postings about fan noise. How bad is it?

Thanks guys,...

Ps,..to make things worse, I was set to go with a Crown, when somebody said the fan noise on it was worse than the others in its class. Even thought it was a better amp. Guess you can't have it all. Man!

>>>--->

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Before someone else suggests it, I'll chime in.

1) The samson amps that SVS sells are supposed to be very quite. If you are building your own subs, you may be able to pick up the Samson cheaper somewhere else.

2) SVS used to ship fideck amps which had louder fans. Apprently you can mod the fans and slow them down to make it quieter. However, I tried the same fix on my Audio Source amp, and it did not work. It is still loud, and I am considering selling it and getting a plate amp.

3. Michael Do

Michael Do Agent

I have an Ashly amp that sound like a 747 ready to take off when it's, but since I'm used computer fan noise it doesn't bother me as much.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Depends on how close to the rack you sit and if its wide open or enclosed. I have a crown CE1000 and the fan only kicks on about 2-3 times per movie and goes for a minute or two (no worse than my refrigerator). The rest of the time it's not even running so it's dead quiet. My rack is enclosed but the front is open (no glass door). I can hear it from 10 ft away at my listening possition but its not too bothersome. I hear it only if it's a very quiet sceene in the movie. Most of the time I don't even hear it because the movie soundtrack is playing. During most action movies, you'll never hear it.

An engineer at crown was kind enough to send me a replacement fan with a lower current rating, so that fan is a little quieter but still audible at my listening spot.

If you are bothered easily by little noises I would suggest a fully enlosed cabinet with front doors/glass, or get a K1 or K2 from crown. These don't have fans. Or just place the amps in a different room or around a corner or something.

Honestly the fan isn't a big deal to me anymore.

5. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys,..exactly what I needed to know,...

>>>--->

6. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I have tried a Samson S1000, QSC RMX 2450 and a Crown CE2000.
    The Samson had the quietest fans but this amp is NOT bridgeable into 4 Ohms, so I sold it.
    The QSC's Fan was Very loud so I returned it.
    The Crown is the best choice.
    High power, 1950 watts bridged into 4 Ohms
    Fan does not run much and when it does, is not very loud
    Input sensitivity can be set down to .775v
    And the amp is MADE IN THE USA!!
    Crown the BEST choice[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    TedO

7. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Charles, did you try a zener diode on your audiosource amp or a resisitor? Did you try reversing the direction of the diode?, on my fidek the white band had to be facing away from the fan. There's a guy on audio review who said he fixed his audiosource by installing a resistor inline on the fan lead , you might try e-mailing him to see exactly how he did it.

8. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

My Fidek was a little noisy during quiet sections but not too bad. I added the Zener diode and now it is silent and doesn't even get warm.

9. Chris Sherman

Brett, My fidek amps are now virtually inaudible as well and MCM electronics almost always has them on sale, and you get an additional 10% off by ordering online and using coupon code OC24. I almost bought the QSC RMX 850 but am glad I did not after hearing complaints of fan noise.I use one amp to drive two 12" Dayton DVC based sonosubs in my bedroom and the other to power my 25-31 CS SVS sub, with the new improved driver, in my living room. My plan is to eventually sell one of the Fidek amps and buy the Crown CE 1000 for the SVS just to gain a bit more power and headroom .

10. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yeah, I put in the Zener diode everyone was using for the Fideck. Stripe away from the fan (if I put it towards, the fan didnt run at all). Do you have any more info on the guy that used the resistor instead of a diode?

11. Chris Sherman

12. Chris Sherman

Charles , It's under the one and only review of the audiosource 5.2 monoblock the owner says he used a 100 ohm resistor .

13. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Thanks Chris, I'll give it a try and report back in case anyones curious.