Fan Noise on Dish Network HDTV 8VSB

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timmy Jackson, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Timmy Jackson

I have the Echostar 6000 Receiver for Dish Network along with the 8VSB HDTV OTA tuner. The 8VSB has an awful fan noise that really bothers me. I'm on my 3rd 8VSB (Dish has been so nice as to furnish me with 2 replacements) and the noise is still there.
    I remember seeing some info on this around a year ago but my searches turned up no info. Any ideas? I altered my first 8VSB to slow down the fan (I soldered something in there- a resistor???) and it did well for a while then started to produce this grinding noice recently. That's what started the 2nd and 3rd units from Dish.
    The noise that I'm experiencing now is an awful high-pitched buzz from the fan spinning. What do I do???
    Your help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Timmy Jackson

[​IMG]

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I disconnected the fan. Since I'm too far from any stations to get OTA (buying the tuner turned out to be a mistake), I'm not sure it's hurt anything. The whine drove me crazy.

4. Timmy Jackson

Do you think the 8VSB and the receiver will be okay? The unit does get REALLY hot!

5. Tony Genovese

The receiver has been fine. Can't tell about the 8VSB as I don't have any signals strong enough to watch.

6. Timmy Jackson

Great! I'll try it out.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhhh... guys. Electronics dont do well when temps go higher than their intended operating spec. Even if they appear to work for a while, it can affect the quality of their output and drastically reduce their lifetime.

They would not have put a fan in the unit if it was not necessary for good operation of the unit.

I strongly suggest you re-connect the fan or put some other fan right behind the unit to increase ventilation. You can also measure the size of the fan and try some after-market fans that are quieter. (I used to have a link to a electronics place that listed the loudness of their muffin fans but I cannot find it at the moment).

8. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Tony,
    What type antenna are you using? Many people receive the digital broadcast stations from 40 to 60 miles away. Have you checked antenna suggestions for your particular area over on the AVS Forum?

9. Timmy Jackson

Thanks for the input Bob. If you happen to remember that website, I would really like to check it out.
    Thanks!!!

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The site was for Sac Electronics or Sacramento Electronics. They had a page/table of muffin fans with air-flow, volume, size, current, voltage, etc.

I tried to google it, but got tons of other stuff.

Try searching for "Muffin Fans".

Note: My local CompUSA has TONS of add-on cooling fans that all operate from a 12 volt source like a floppy drive plug. Radio Shack sells a inexpensive "Universal Power Supply" that normally has little plugs to power a variety of portable CD players, walkmans, calculators, etc. The cool part is the transformer has a little slide-switch to adjust the voltage to 6/7.5/9/12 volts. Hook one of these up to a generic/noisy fan and reduce the voltage to quiet it down. When you buy the universal power supply, they give you one $4 plug. Look for the "Hobby Power Lead" (273-1742) $1.99, and you could go with the 800 ma AC-to-DC adaptor (273-1667).

11. Tony Genovese

12. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator