What's new

Fan me! Cool me!! (1 Viewer)

Kamil_k

Grip
Hope this is the right place... just acquired a nice power amp that runs a bit hotter (partial Class A) than I am comfortable with. To extend amp life and control home cooling costs, I would like to help this bugger ventilate by use of a fan or other method.

Any suggestions for a smallish (4-6") fan that runs quiet? This is in the "critical audio" room (hah!) so would prefer it be very quiet.

I am using the 4" Radio Shack fan (used for computers) to vent my projector but it has a bit of a high-pitched whine to it, and may be too small besides. OK for the pj as it is actually in another room connected by ducting, but not for this app.

TIA.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, depending on your location, you may want to hook up a cold air return duct from your furnace to the bqck of the equipment room. This should help circulate the air around the equipment in your set up. Normally following the equipment manufacturer clearance specifications should be adequate I would think.

Regards Tom

Kamil_k

Grip
Thanks Tom, but I do not have enoughcapacity left in the system after finishing the basement. To be clear, this is the audio-only system, on the main floor, while the HT is in the basement.
The audio system is in a Salamander Twin-20, with perhaps 4 inches of headroom. There is no reasonable way to put a duct there.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
the cooling cost will be the same. you are just moving the heat out to the rest of the room. then add in the cost of running the fan, and getting rid of its heat. :)

ag.

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a small (4-6") clip-on fan and hooked it to the rack so that it blows right over the amp. You can barely hear it (you don't hear it at all with the movie on) and it was under $10.00.
Trace

David Cotton

Auditioning
Or another option is a squirrel cage fan that some folks use in cars and such to cools amps in areas that do not have much clearance. They also tend to run very quietly.

Here is a link www(dot)surplussales(dot)com/Fans-Blowers/FansBlow-1.html I found while doing a search for them that has many options.. Some are pre-built into enclosures designed to cool equipment racks, others are mount em where you need em. They even have some mini ones for small areas.

Hope that helps.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks