Fan for PAB?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulDF, Mar 14, 2003.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I am considering putting a small fan into the back of my plate amp box. How effective will this be in cooling the unit?

I would have to drill air vent holes in the sides to allow circulation. Could power it with a basic transformer plugged into the switched outlet of my receiver. It would run anytime the receiver is on, but if quiet enough, shouldn't be a problem.

Would this be likely to induce any weird interference and does anybody have any better suggestions?

Thanks

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I haven't found any compelling reason to install a fan for my PAB. As long as there is good air flow for the heat sink, you should be okay.

3. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

Why not just run a small 12 volt DC brushless fan over the heatsinks of the plate amp (I have used many of these from RS for car amps)? You would have to buy a small AC-DC adapter and it would be external, but The idea of the heat sink is to draw the heat away. Keep the heat sink cool, and you will not have any problems with heat.

What plate amp? I run the dog out of my PE 250 watt plate @ 4 ohms, and it never gets real hot. . . . Are you sure you are not clipping the amp outputs or driving too low of an impedance? If so, keeping it cool will only buy you a little more time before it fails. . . . .

Brian

My webpage

4. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Its an AVA 250, driving a Tempest. I'll admit, I push it too hard once in a while, so I thought keeping it cool might extend its lifespan. Can my receiver's sub out clip? I keep it up quite high, (4-10).

I am in the habit of putting a big fan in front of the unit when it gets warm, but it looks kinda tacky. So I'd thought a fan on the back would be less noticable. How would I place a small fan to blow on the heatsink, but not look ridiculous?

The heatsink does get quite warm to the touch, and in my earlier excitement of my completed sub, the amp cut out a few times, due to overheating I assume. It was turned wayy too high back then!

5. Brian-K-Owens

The fan comes in a 3" version about 1" thick. I would just glue it to the box at the bottom of the fins and allow it to blow air straight up across the fins.

Brian

6. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

I think I understand your idea, Brian, but my amp fins are only about 1/4" off the floor. It looks much like Pat's design. Unless I build a stand for the PAB, a can't mount a fan below the heatsink.

I wonder if it would help if I elevated the PAB a few inches, to allow more air underneath the very bottom of the heatsink fins? As it is, they are sitting almost right on the carpet.

[edit] Also, the box is totally sealed(enclosed). Will this allow things to heat up more?

7. Brian-K-Owens

You could mount it directly over the heat sinks blowing on top of them (hot melt or silicone works great).

|-----------|
    | FAN |
    air |-----------| air

This is how I alway use these fans in cars. . . Maybe on the inside/backside would be easiest for you. I just know the amp is designed for the heatsink to remove the heat. Keep the heatsink cool, and it will do it's job.

Brian

8. Brian-K-Owens

I guess I should have added html tags to keep the spaces in my drawing? Try one more time. . . .

&nsbp&nsbp&nsbp&nsbp&nsbp|-----------|
    &nsbp&nsbp&nsbp&nsbp&nsbp|---FAN-----|
    air&nsbp&nsbp|-----------| air

Brian

9. Brian-K-Owens

DARN & instead of %???? not going to try again. . . .sorry for the extra posts.