Family vacation to Cancun tomorrow, any advice?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy LaMont, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Leaving around 9ish.

First time out with GF, and my 7 year old daughter.

Heard about La Isla Muertes (sea turtles), Tulum (ruins), and I'm definitely snorkeling.

Thanks.

Troy

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Snorkeling is the best. You get to race the boats to the snorkeling location, flying through the air 6 feet above the waves.
    Make sure to see Chichen Itza.
    BTW, you'll get the best restaraunt service ever if you tip nicely. Tips are apprecaited everywhere. Our group tipped well and we received 2 free rounds of free drinks to start off dinner the next day.
    Too bad you're not going during Spring Break [​IMG].
    You can also go scuba diving w/o the prerequisite training. We didn't but do it if you're interested.
    Don't drink the water. That means ice too.

3. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When you get there, be sure to rent a car and do an excursion to Tulum, Xcaret (spelling?), and the underground river. Great pictures, ruins and a nice cool swim down the river to cool you off after a hot day. Also, a trip to Isla Mujeres is a must. I second the Chichen Itza idea. It is about 2.5 hours by bus but I have a lot of nice pictures of the pyramid from the ground, as wel as from the summit. A must.

Also, while we were there, we went to a restaurant in the city and the food was very good and the entertainment was great. I videotaped for a solid hour. The first half was traditional Mexican dance and song and the second half was Myan song & dance. Top class stuff. I cannot remember the name of the restaurant but the hotels usually have info on all of this.

Bring lots of money.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Don't eat salads. Don't eat a fruit that you can't peel the skin off. Eat cooked food only. The bacteria count is astronomical there. Everything is covered with bacteria. It proably hasn't been 40 degrees there since the last ice age. Food is expensive. Everything else is cheap.

Beware of the silver jewellery there. They don't use proper alloys and it tarnishes. If you buy it count on cleaning it constantly.

Take a calculator. The peso prices are such big numbers that you'll need the calculator to keep from getting dizzy. Haggle about prices in shops. Haggle hard!

Be very careful about the sun. Your northern hemisphere skin will sizzle. Have fun!

6. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Rachels being cautious, but its not that bad [​IMG]
    Many fruits for example dont have skin you can peel and are very safe if washed.
    Watermelon and the various cantelope are great if fresh and clean (not that anyone would even eat any unwashed, or spoiled fruit here in the US).

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] Henry, I think watermelon counts as a fruit you can peel the skin off...with a knife. Best wishes!

8. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Xcaret is highly recommended. I went to Cancun on a college Spring Break trip in 1997. It was fun, but didn't seem very "Mexican." Getting out of the tourist area for a day trip to Xcaret was one the highlights of the trip. Don't get me wrong, the parties were great, bungy jumping at Fat Tuesday's was awesome, and beaches were incredible, but Xcaret remains a highlight.

9. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

10. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona