What's new

Family Ties (1 Viewer)

Jan Jessen

Auditioning
I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about
the old 80's tv show Family Ties getting released on dvd ?

best regards,
Jan

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
No news on this coming to DVD, but if it did I'd give buying it some serious consideration that's for sure. I got in to this show when it hit nick at nite for the first time a few years ago.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I'd buy it, though the first season was not its best. It focused too much on the story of the formerly-radical parents trying to preserve their old ways, which was a good concept (a reverse "All in the Family") but not really enough to carry a lot of funny episodes. In the second season they started realizing that Alex and his struggle (between his greed and his basic decency) was the really funny part of the show, and the dad became a much better and funnier character -- once Michael Gross grew a beard, he was hilarious, one of the best actors in the business at deadpan reactions. I don't usually like it when a show places increased emphasis on a supporting character, but I think with Family Ties it was clear that Alex was a better character to carry the show than his mother.

Paramount has a lot of sitcoms in their library and are releasing a bunch of them over the next few months, so I think it's likely that we will see FT eventually.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I've been wishing for Family Ties DVDs for a loooong time. I wonder what the hold up is...surely they don't think it won't sell? FT is one of the best, and best-loved sitcoms of the '80s. (Heck it's *my* favorite sitcom of all time)

Jan Jessen

Auditioning
It's really great to see i'm not the only one that want this show on dvd, gives me hope that there are hope hehe ;)

BrandonJF

Second Unit
When TV Land did a marathon awhile back, I was amazed at how well the show held up and how great it is. Definitely not your typical "family" sitcom. Some of the stuff that show dealt with was incredibly well done.

I'd buy DVD sets in a heartbeat.

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy it without hesitation. It's an absolute must. Family Ties (and Michael J Fox) represents my early 'tween and teen years, my first television crush, my first must see show and the first show that truly devastated me with its end. I've been watching the final season over the last month as it's aired on our pay TV channel and it's still hilarious. The "driving scene" in the Keaton kitchen had me in stitches.

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator

The above news was announced on tvshowsondvd.com in September last year. I haven't seen anything since. Is it still happening (though obviously not in the first half of 2005)?

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Over at Sitcoms Online at the Family Ties board there's a petition there to get FT on DVD, so if anyone's interested they can go there and sign it :)

Katherine_K

Second Unit
This seems to me like yet another case of Paramount mismanaging their catalogue. I was hoping that with the recent corporate shakeup over at the studeo we'd see them dipping into their vaults, but I've yet to see much evidence of that.

Paramount is behind the curve when it comes to realizing the value of TV-on-DVD releases. Warner Brothers is far ahead of them, and Universal seems to be on a fairly quick learning curve.

The problem is that they've relied too closely on their (IMO) overpriced scifi releases.

John*P

Second Unit
I wish Paramount would release Family Ties on season DVD sets already. I was at the store the other day and found a copy of Family Ties: Collector's Edition on VHS for $4.99. (it had 4 uncut(?) episodes from throughout the series) I was very tempted to buy it, but I figured I'd resist since the show is bound it hit DVD eventually. It should have been on DVD awhile ago, IMO...

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I watched Inside the Actor's Studio with Michael J. Fox last night and seeing the clips from the show makes me wish I could have season sets right now.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I will be at BestBuy with my checkbook the second this comes out. The first couple seasons were my favorite. I expect we'll see it one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks