What's new

Family Ties Question (1 Viewer)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Does anyone know how many episodes are edited/music replaced? I would love if someone can post this. The edited episodes I'll transfer from my NBC off-air recordings. Are there a lot in which case I just transfer them all myself and not bother with the DVDs.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I think this was mentioned in another thread about season one. The pilot had some footage cut and some music missing or changed and Jennifer's 50's styled birthday party episode had some music replacement. I've got to admit they really didn't bother me that much.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

The studios love people like you! However, me on the other hand, I despise any cuts or changes to the original content. Luckily I either have or know people who have beautiful recordings of almost everything that's aired since the early 80s. So, if something happens like the botched first season Cosby Show release, no problem, I just use my masters. But getting back to the topic at hand, if it was only a couple of episodes, that's easily dealt with.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I meant none of it was really very important stuff to me. I was a big fan of the first season and honestly couldn't remember the stuff they cut out. I would rather have it uncut, but these cuts just weren't a deal breaker for me.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The first season cuts are:

—Pilot: a 30-second scene with a Phil Ochs song in it is gone.
—I Know Jennifer's Boyfriend: Steve and Elyse singing "Eddie My Love" is gone and an Elvis song in the background is replaced with generic music.

Everything else on S1 is uncut save for the Paramount Television logo.

Season two cuts:

—Lady Sings the Blues: A weird fade-out during one of Elyse's performances at the bar.
—Sweet Lorraine: The song "It Was a Very Good Year" is gone, and the short 30ish-second scene that had it is too.

Everything else is intact.

The chance of "At This Moment" getting cleared for season 4 is 50/50. I think Paramount's attitude towards seems to be music clearance is "flip a coin". Were it not for that, split-seasons, and logo replacements, they would be PERFECT.

And Hank, I would KILL to have the sort of connections you have.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Thanks for the info. The connections come from having gotten into the hobby at the dawn of it when it was only the pioneers involved. People who really took it seriously and started recording like crazy even though tapes were $20 or so for a blank. I didn't start myself until 1980 but I know folks who had been at it for a few years by then, going back to the 3/4 inch days. But, hey, everything has a flip side. It's great to have been there in the early days but I would kill to be 20 years younger!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks