What's new

Family Ties on DVD ( Dave & Gord, What Happened?) (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Dave & Gord,

I was doing a search for information on when this series was preparing to be released to DVD and I came across a hit from TV Shows on DVD with a news item that was dated from 2004:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2211

The report reads that the show is coming soon but doesn't say when. 2 Years later and still no news. What happened guys? Was that a practical joke on behalf of TV SHows on DVD.:D

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Of course it wasn't a joke. It was early information that we received, but the studio changed their plans. We never, ever post "practical jokes" on the site.

Gord

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Why would they joke about something like that, because I'm one of the many many people who would love to see this series make it to dvd. It's a high demand item, I'm sure. And I can't understand why they didn't get around to releasing it. Maybe this year. I wonder what rank # it has on tvshowsondvd.com?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
It came up as a top hit on Google and I was just wondering about this msyelf as seeing it's the only new item for this show. Gord, has there been any news from Paramount on this ntitle then? By the way, I was only kidding about the practical joke thing.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Nope, it hasn't come up at all. Our contacts at Paramount aren't as good as they used to be though.

Gord

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
This was a great series and I would buy it in an instant. I got so excited when I saw the news posted back then, but since lost hope.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Believe me, there are few people out there more disappointed than I am about Family Ties not being on DVD. If you asked me to name my faves or most wanted, I may not think of it right off, but when I first got the info (that was subsequently withdrawn), I was so excited I nearly peed my pants. I am very bitterly disappointed that this show is not out yet. I try to keep it in perspective, but that is hard for me to do.

Anytime I catch one of TVShowsOnDVD's enthusiastic supporters (and I do thank you for that support!) saying something like "those guys never give info that doesn't pan out", I correct them by pointing out the Family Ties situation as a great and prominent example of "oh, yes we do". Not our fault, but a great example of "don't believe it until you hold the package in your hands". :frowning:

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
That's too bad guys because I've been watching a slew of Michael J Fox movies lately;

The Frighteners
Greedy
Back to the Future Trilogy
The Secret of my Success

I have to say that I'm particularly fond of Greedy right now. It's a pretty hilarious comedy film that also stars the late and great Phil Hartman.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Michael J. Fox is a very brave and popular man; one of the few movie stars I actually considered to be cool back in the day (who else did I have to look up to back in 1985? John Cryer? Anthony Michael Hall? LOL I don't think so!)

Do you think that Michael J. Fox's recent stint on "Boston Legal" will renew interest in his past stuff, like Family Ties? Also something that needs to be put on the radar is Spin City (owned by Fox), which I am LOVING in reruns on FX.

John*D

Second Unit
YO!!! ;)

Definitely would pick this series up on DVD. I always liked the episodes where Eylse's brother came to visit.

As for Spin City, I think the fact that Alex P. Keaton was mentioned in the finale was pretty cool!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
When you say "Fox" do you mean the studio "20th Century..." or do you mean the person "Michael J. ..."; I dunno if you realize the confusion you're causing for some people! :laugh:

Actually, Dreamworks released through their (former?) distributor Universal two Spin City DVDs already (August 2003), albeit best-ofs and not season sets:

Spin City - Michael J. Fox: His All-Time Favorites Volume 1

Spin City - Michael J. Fox: His All-Time Favorites Volume 2

I guess this show maybe falls under Paramount as well, now, since Paramount bought Dreamworks. But I haven't studied the details of that deal, so maybe Spin City isn't part of it.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I don't about everyone else but I really hate those best of sets. It's just another way of studios to soak fans for extra money especially when they plan on releasing season sets later on.

That's why I have no plans on buying that best of Baywatch DVD and plan on waiting for the season sets. Just wish these studios would release these boxed sets on a more regular basis than they have been. Or better yet. Allow fans to purchase any set they want by opening up therir catalog of titles through online ordering instead of waiting for the street date.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The show was recently shown in reruns VERY briefly and then yanked without explanation. Perhaps the studio feels the show doesn't have enough interest. There may be a lot of people wanting it on DVD but that doesn't seem to be translating into viewers when the show airs on TV. Rerun ratings may play a big part on what studios decide to release. Roseanne began it's run on DVD after it's reruns proved to be very successful on Nick At Nite.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Family Ties has never done well on cable. TBS, Nick@Nite/TV Land and now Hallmark Channel. I hope this is not the reason for the delay of DVD sets.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I can't see Paramount using that as a reason for not realeasing Family Ties yet,and if they do they're getting pretty desperate for excuses.I'm sure there are a lot of series that never did well on cable,and are out on DVD.

John*P

Second Unit
Truly one of the great sitcoms, and one that is very special to me, as it is a show that my whole family enjoyed watching together during my 80s childhood.

I'm a fan of Back to the Future, Teen Wolf and The Secret of my Success...and whenever I watch those movies I'm always thinking "Why the hell isn't Family Ties on DVD yet?!".

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I should have posted this a while ago,but on the Family Ties message board,on the imdb,somebody posted that Gary David Goldberg is delaying its release to DVD.I asked why he would do that and the person replied with a stupid answer.Can anybody see this as the reason Family Ties is not out on DVD,and we haven't heard anything about it being released?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks