What's new

Family Guy Season Seven (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Was the "Worse than Hitler" taking a jab at Fox's show Red Eye? (damn someone beat me to it!)

I'm not at all religious. But I do see how Seth McFarlane is really one sided, and everyone is wrong but me.

The only thing I found funny in this episode was the different bottles of alcohol talking to brian. The Zima bottle having a gay lisp and the Jagermeister having the accent.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
lol. if u r truly a Christian u shouldn't be watching this or south park, lulz.

gonna watch this ep 2nite. i luv TNG, hope to get a huge laugh.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't regularly watch this show. I only watched because of the commercial promoting the TNG cast as guests. I didn't think it was that funny, but then I probably am not in the demographic that gets this kind of humor.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I think Seth and Co. were mocking on the people that say being atheist is worse than Nazism; not that believing in God was worse than Nazism.

The Star Trek: TNG stuff was much funnier than I expected, especially Stewie pronouncing Whil Wheaton's name. ;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I'm not a family guy viewer but I usually catch some of these parady shows and this one was pretty funny, but isn't the entire point of this show to offend, so why would anyone watch it if they did'nt want to be offended, I've screened a few eps here and there and there was quite a few pokes at other religions in this series, why would it only offend you if it's your religion? Anyhow as I said I'm not a fan, but just a casual observation.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

But it was Meg, the believer, who was participating in the book burning, that's why I said that.

Meh, this show never used to go to the extremes that it has this season, though, it would on occasion make a Jesus joke, usually during the cutaway jokes but Seth has ramped it up considerably I think.

It used to be fun, relatively light fare with some crude humor in it.

Always hated South Park.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I don't know about that. I think I would put more as "creating humor through making fun of things" I don't have a problem with people making fun of religion (mine included). But, this episode, at least to me, seemed to go beoynd making fun and into a full blown slam. I mean one of the threads of the episode had Meg have a sort of religious awakening and Brian works to convince her out of it. Maybe I have to watch it again, but the way it seemed to me, it was saying having faith in a God is stupid.

It doesn't really bother me, but I doesn't make me like McFarlane very much either, and I've said it before with other things he's done.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
"You, sir, are worse then Hitler" was a funny line on The Simpsons many, many years ago. It's what Patty and Selma's boss at the D.M.V says to Homer after he pretends he was smoking their two cigarettes (to keep them from getting in trouble as a sweet gesture towards Marge). I abandoned "Family Guy" a long time ago when it became apparent not long after its return that the spark/edge/magic of the early seasons had been lost for good somewhere in the transitional period. I checked out this episode just out of curiosity to see what they would do with the Star Trek cast since I'm a Star Trek fan and was not surprised to see that the show is just as uninspired and unfunny as it was when I left it.

I was not surprised, but I was disappointed that the opportunity to reunite that cast was so wasted with such limp humour. At least when "Futurama" reunited the cast of the original Star Trek, they came up with a lot of clever inside jokes for the fans, like William Shatner lampooning his own karaoke stylings, Leonard Nimoy casually repeating his "Wrath of Khan" final scene dialogue, Walter Koenig being annoyed about "nuclear wessels", and Uhura's fan dance.

The closest we got here was Denise Crosby getting killed off immediately and Patrick Stewart bullying Wil Wheaton, which I guess is kind of a reference to how Picard originally couldn't stand Wesley. Oh well, at least it was nice to hear the voices of people like Sirtis and McFadden again. The others barely had any lines (weird to see "Data" being the one who gets shortsighted in terms of number of lines compared to the rest of the cast for once), and the novelty of hearing Patrick Stewart doing comedic voiceover in animation wore off long ago after his brilliant performance on The Simpsons in the '90s and his many guest spots (as a semi-regular) on "American Dad".

Joe_H

Screenwriter

To be fair, he only tried to convince her out of it after being punished for his own (lack of) faith.

Matthew_V

Stunt Coordinator

I completely agree. This episode was as much of a letdown and waste of time and energy (of the viewers, writers, and creators) as the recent Family Guy episode with the three interminable minutes of Conway Twitty.

Here we have this incredible opportunity where the whole cast of STNG was brought together .. and I bet if we added up their scenes we'd have a total of five minutes of STNG content out of this 21 minute episode.

And in the beginning of the episode during the scene where three fans asked three consecutive inane questions, I couldn't escape the feeling that was one more instance of Seth's interest for gags that get stretched out waaaaayyy too long ... like the earlier mentioned scene where Peter stumbles and spends forever moaning and clutching his knee.

This season is the first Family Guy season where, even while I'm watching the episodes on hulu online, I'm now glancing at my watch wondering how soon the episode will be over.

Matthew_V

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing that bothers me about Family Guy this year is the way that Mila Kunis's talent is being wasted. I realize that Meg has always been the most minor character in the family. But Mila's voice is perfect for Meg, so I figured that once Mila joined the cast this would be the perfect opportunity for the writers to develop her character more. But instead her character's involvement in this show is as minor and trivial as the STNG characters' involvement in this latest episode.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein

Why are you taunting him? You know you can't win. If we end up with a 30 minute Conway Twitty show next week, we'll only have you to blame.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't offended by the religious stuff (although it was definitely over the top and condescending)--what I was offended by is the fact that the FG writing staff has apparently given up on actually writing endings. That was lame.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i agree with the sentiments about writing. a lot of current viewers bought vol1-4 and loved the new england humour... but the last few seasons after they came back has been a parlay into excess. it's become a shadow of its former self. is cleveland spinoff still happening?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Finally! A worthy Family Guy episode.

Thought this week's entry was both entertaining and extremely hilarious.

Some of my favorite moments...

* Bag of Weed song done marvelously to the "Old Bamboo" song
from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

* Propaganda film of Hitler smoking pot with the uninspired voiceover

* Quagmire in bed excited to show his cat the MTM logo.

Really funny episode. All I can say is, "it's about time!"

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was funny. I liked the part where Stewie was straining to tell Brian that his book was good enough to get published on its own terms, then not being able to do it anymore and says "eh you better do an anti-pot song"

Still, I'm tiring a bit of the way McFarlane seems to be using the show as his soapbox. I get that it's his show, but he can be very condescending to the people who don't share his ideologies.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Agreed, first decent episode in a while... Though out of curiosity, I thought MacFarlane quit smoking weed... weird to do an episode about it after that.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Anyone have any thoughts on the latest episode? I thought it was ok even tho I dont remember any moments that made me laugh out loud. The only scene that annoyed me was when Stewie was blocking Brian from the stairs. It went on a bit too long as I predicted it would when it started. Dragging out scenes worked, the first couple of times, but now that its predictable, the novelty has worn off. I am starting to feel a bit bad for Meg too. The show has absolutly lost its replay value, however, overall I would say this season is slightly better than last years, yet still nowhere near where the show was when at its prime. I pretty much mirrior everyones feelings about the show the last few seasons. In fact, most of the internet seems to. I wonder when Seth is going to take the complaints seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks