Family Guy Jaggies - Take 2

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Eric_Connelly, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

I've read all about the Family Guy jaggies and see everyone says it happens with stills.

Well on my old Sony(cheapo 3 year old unit), In Law's Toshiba PS, and my newer JVC Progressive all show every minute or two almost like a still and a jaggie edge to everything, very annoying to watch. This was on a Toshiba 36" tube, 2 different ones

Now on our new HD931 hooked up via DVI to a LCD GW 60" we get the same effect but very very rarely, watched all of DVD 4 last night and only happened twice I think.

Stills you do get the jaggies real bad.

I read some of the threads and it seems some complain about it all the time, like I had, and some say certain units don't produce the effect, like mine does not now. Maybe the upscaling has something to do with it.

Any idea's?

2. Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc Stunt Coordinator

Forget the jaggies (I always thought this was a compression/mastering problem), I have noticed that there are many scenes in many episodes where the cartoon is just plain not in FOCUS. Like when the camera was shooting a particular set of frames, they didn't the focus right and the image is slightly blurred. Didn't anyone notice this?

3. Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington Screenwriter

I don't watch the show, but it's possible the original masters are like that. It's the result of changing the pacing/timing of the original animation during editing, by freezing held poses for additional frames where necessary. The two-field nature of NTSC causes jaggies when this is done (unless one makes a "duplicated field" still, which is very simple on today's non-linear editing systems, and it's inexcusable NOT to do so on a show as recent as Family Guy). This happened a lot on early Ren & Stimpys, too.

4. Casey C.

Casey C. Stunt Coordinator

I don't own Family Guy on DVD, but I've seen it on Cartoon Network and TBS and have noticed some pretty bad jaggies at times, like what you describe. I'm guessing Jay is right and it's a problem with the original masters.