Familiar With 70+ Year Olds And PC's? Please Read(Long)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by James Edward, Sep 17, 2003.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

My mother's new PC is driving me crazy. She recently replaced her PC that had been fried after the blackout a month ago. She kept her old monitor, which was fine. New PC is Dell, so was old one.

This is the problem: Simply pressing the power button on the PC does not always turn the machine on. She says that the only way she gets it to go on is by turning the surge protector strip off, then on again. This scenario doesn't happen all the time- just in the morning most times.

I have windows update set to automatically download and then install every day at 3am. I now have the PC set to go into standby mode after 20 minutes of downtime, and I have instructed them to only use standby mode, and not do a complete shutdown since they frequently use the PC throughout the day.

My theories:
    1- Could Windows Automatic Update somehow be involved?
    2- Could the PC actually be booted up but the old monitor simply interfaces differently and doesn't turn on properly? Old monitor is from a Windows 98 machine.
    3- I have no clue...

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you. If you need more info, please ask, I'd be happy to oblige. Thanks again

2. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

Most modern PCs will not simply turn off by pressing the power button. They like to be turned off by using the "shutdown" menu. In cases where the shutdown menu doesn't work, then it is necessary to press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds for it to turn off.

It is not really a power switch in the conventional sense. The switch actually connects to a special circuit on the motherboard which controls shutdown electronically rather directly breaking one of the power main lines like in the "old days".

3. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

It sounds like pressing the power button is not waking the machine from standby. What about moving the mouse or pressing the spacebar? Does that wake it from standby?

The system may not like having the power strip turned off while it's in standby mode either.

Most new Dell's I've worked with will shut down by pressing the power button. It triggers the shutdown process just like the shutdown menu.

Bruce

4. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

I have run into PC's not comming out of standby. I would just have it turn off the moniter, and at most turn off the HD's. PC's now don't use that much power, unlike the old days.

5. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Jeff, dn't know about what PC's you are using, but some of the P4s are disapaiting about 80W of power, just from the CPU.

My 1700+ XP and 19: Monitor consume about 230W on idle, according to my UPS logs, and it only logs the power draw on the battery back up circuits...

Granted, they do use a lot less power then some very early systems, but they still us a lot of juice.

Personlly, it sounds like the sytem is not coming out of suspend peroperly. Check to ensure that system is detected as a ACPI system (under Device Manager). If not, try removing this, rebooting an having the system redetect it's status, or reimage the WS. (NOTE this MAY cause data loss...) Finally, unplug hardware that did not come with the unit, such as printers, etc. It could be a device not re inicializing properly.