Familer with Musicmatch 6.0? I have questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Leiter, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

I bought this to rip all my CDs into mp3's. I've got about 15 in so far and i have notice that as long as I make the primary tag listing by album. everythiong is OK. But when I switched it to list the mp3's by artist. MM grouped all albums together into one file!!

Is there a setting i need to make so that when looking at all these files by artist all the tracks dont get mixed together?

2. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Mark:
    I've been using Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip my CDs, because it has been proven to produce bit-perfect copies every time. It can be configured to convert to mp3 on the fly and to save in specific directories and with specific file formats. You also can create a *.m3u playlist of each CD's contents along with the rip. It can be found at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/eac11.html
    I save my files with the following syntax:
    song_artist_album_track number.wav
    and save them in Artist/Album directories.
    It does involve a second step of adding the ripped tracks to the Musicmatch library, but the Super Tagging "Tag from filename" feature works flawlessly.
    Finally, if you're planning to compress the files after ripping them, you might consider using one of the lossless compression codecs like Monkey's Audio or LAME instead of MP3. http://www.monkeysaudio.com/
    - Ken
    I store mine as *.wavs b/c I don't want to compromise sound quality.

3. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Just curious, one thing i like about MM is how easy it make ripping CDs. When i insert a disc to rip MM is able to automaticly insert the Album title, artist, track name and genre without me doing anything.

This is especially helpful 'cause my collection spans about 350 discs. A lot of them I no longer have the labeling for. This makes listing the tracks and sometime even the disc titles and artist dificult.

Does EAC have the same abilities??

4. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Yes! EAC uses Freedb.org to find track information and automatically inserts the artist name, album, genre, track title, and number, any of which can be incorporated into the file name of the saved file. As long as you are connected to the internet, it will automatically look up the information when you insert the disk. It also can look up the information from the CD itself, if the CD has the information encoded on it.

Once it's configured to your liking, it's ridiculously easy to use.

With a collection of your size, I would use great care in deciding how you want to organize and encode it, simply b/c of the enormous time you'll invest in ripping it all. I typically do 4 or 5 each time I use the computer for any length of time. Another thing to consider is security -- making sure you're protected in the event of a disk crash. Some folks, for example, have set up different types of RAID arrays to provide for reduncacy. I'll admit that I haven't gone that far, but its something I'm considering, esp. if I start to archive video in addition to music.

- Ken

- Ken

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, EAC is great. The only real downside to using it is that it's very slow. That's the price you pay for quality rips though.

I'd also take a look at CDex. It performs digital rips like EAC and is quite a bit faster.

6. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

7. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

I use music match for ripping and it works fine for me. I heartily recommend it. For playback I use winamp, www.winamp.com , It lists all your files by title or filename. I turn winamp on, hit shuffle and let it do the rest. It runs through my entire library in shuffle mode, and it's instantaneous. Not like suffle mode with a cd player where you wait a few seconds between songs.
    As far as your problem goes...I think it has to do with how you have your music library setup. What you need to do is right click on the top of the library bar, scroll down to library, then scroll down and select library settings. WHen it pops up it will ask how you want the songs sorted and allow you to change the order of the categories. I have mine set to display song title first and to order them by song title. This will put the song title in the first column and whatever you want in the next columns. That should fix your problem, because I think it default to group by genre or something that bunches them all up if you select title. Don't give up on MM just yet.
    Jeff

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i dunno why, but the new EAC + LAME im using right ow is SLOOOWWWW on my P166 (That explains it! :p) compared to MusicMatch...

EAC+LAME ripped at like .2x-.8x, whereas Musicmatch ripped up to 3x at times...

Im not sure if it was just me or im imaginging things, but the old version of EAC ripped MUCH faster than the newer one... with LAME compression too... weird...

9. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Jeff

OK i'll try that. I did manage to make the primary tag to be "by artist". Thats when it combined all the repective titles together regardless of album. Perhaps I just didn't mess with it enough.

One more question. I'm thinking that this problem has more to do with Windows rather than MusicMatch... On a few of the CDs I riped MM kept creating multiple directories for a single CDs worth of songs. What I think is happening is windows must have a limit on how many characters a folder or file name can be. When MM is copying and it runs out of buffer space it creates another folder and truncates the folder name to allow it to fit.

My question is...How can I manually modify the folder or title name BEFORE MusicMatch rips the CD?

Thanks everyone for all your help.

10. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Hey mark, I would check your recording settings. Go to options, recoder, settings. Then click on tracks directory. These are how it specifies what to put in the title of the ripped track. On the right you can specify if you want track number or arist or album name in the title. If you click one, you can then use the arrows to the right of the item to move it up or down the list. This way you can tell it to put artist first or album first or however you like it. The left side is the subfolders you can create. If these are checked it will make a folder for artist, then a folder for album, and this is where your music will go. It's 3 folders down form where you want it. Make sure these are unchecked everytime you rip and it will put the files right into your music folder. I just looked at mine and they were checked again even though I unchecked them last time so it might reset itself, make sure to check everytime.

I think this is all you were asking about. Have I helped or are you still confused?

Edit: If you want to change the album or artist name before ripping you just need to single click on the artist or album name field at the left side of the recorder. You can then put anything you want in. I'm assuming this works because I've only done it with albums that could not be found on CDDB. Should work for other albums also IMHO.

Jeff

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    EAC is significantly slower than most other rippers out there. I'd imagine it's due to all the error correction and checking that occur...

12. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Jeff-

You’ve given some good ideas to try. Unfortunately i am away from home this week and wont be able to mess with it till friday or so. When i get back i’m going to try out your suggestions. I’ll have to post back then. If you could do me a favor and check back at this thread this weekend and i’ll let you know how i did.