False wall vs air vent

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Isaacs, May 15, 2001.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I am planning to build around my future widescreen rptv.
    The best place to put the wall/tv in the room has an air vent right in the middle.One good thing is,the vent is in the floor.So I am thinking I could build a small platform for the tv.Then use an elbow to push the air on out through another vent in the platform.
    Is this wise?The tv will probably be a 65" and I do not want it to be up too much.The good thing about a false wall is I can get behind the tv if I need to hook somthing new in and not worry about taking it down.The bad thing is lifting it up in the first place.And I will have to get/build stands for my already 3' tall speakers.
    I have looked at putting the tv and wall at other locations but if I do,it will really mess up my rear stage and I like it the way it is now.
    The simple answer is fp,but I do not know that I can afford somthing I would be truley happy with and I have 7' celings
    ------------------
    "And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

2. Brett Robert

Brett Robert Agent

I have had both and I like them both. Each for separate reasons. If you can control the light then you might want to consider a FP. but it's your call. As far as the heat vent you can put an elbow on it and run it out the wall were ever you want. They sell flex-insulated duct that is great to work with. It might restrict the airflow a little bit if you have air-conditioning; cold air is harder to move then warm air. If that is the case you can add a draft inducers for $17 and a relay for about $20. I used 2 draft inducers for my hush box for my projector. Works great. You will probably need to get at least 6" clearance under you platform for the ductwork.

3. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Yep,it is heat and ac vent.I really would like to go with fp but I dont know if I can afford somthing that would look as good as a $3500 65" hd rptv
    ------------------
    "And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

4. Brett Robert

Brett Robert Agent

Your right. It will not look as good Just bigger. I paid $4000 for my projector and it looks almost as good I feel. But mine is 8'8" wide. I sit 17' back and have 2 rows of seating, and have been playing with custom paint for the screen. Your results may very. I like big. But that is my tastes. You do what ever. It doesn't matter if it is Rear or Front. HT is just a beautiful thing.
    ------------------
    ~~~~~~~Brett~~~~~~~~~
    Champagne tastes with a beer budget
    My HT