False advertisement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob_R, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Jacob_R

Jacob_R Extra

I made the foolish move from Dish to charter digital cable. On the front of the motorola decoder they gave me there is a dolby digital logo. I understand that if I want digital audio, I would need to connect the decoder to my receiver with a digital cable like I do with my dvd player. My problem is that on the back of the motorola decoder there is no optical or co-ax outs. The only audio outs it has are normal rca left and rights, and something that is labeled "data", which is a 9 pin out (or in, I'm not sure). Is the data jack what sends the digital signal, or is the dolby digital on there just for the looks? If I can't use this decoder, is there one I could buy that does offer digital outs (along with s-video hopefully)? Please help!!!

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Jacob,
    After reading around this site for a few months, I'm under the impression that people in our situation are screwed. Here's a link that talks about how much "digital cable" is a rip off...
    "Digital Cable"

3. Scott Reiss

Scott Reiss Agent

I also have Charter Digital Cable (although in the East, in CT). The converters here are Scientific Atlanta boxes, and they have a digital coax out, as well as composite video and S-video. So perhaps it's a matter of which boxes they use locally. Perhaps you can pressure them to upgrade their boxes ... it helps if you're a masochist.

I agree, a box that says Dolby Digital on it that doesn't appear to transmit digital information is misleading at best.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

On digital cable, video signals may come down in three ways:
    1. As ordinary analog channels. If (not always) the frequency band placement is the same as for analog cable, and they are not scrambled, any cable ready TV will get them.
    2. As digitized analog channels. They must be decoded by the correct digital cable box, and the quality will be no better than analog channels, or a bit worse.
    3. As digital video.
    The main purpose of digital cable is to cram more channels onto the cable. Quality is often poorer than ordinary analog cable.
    Cable boxes tend to have poor comb filters. Because of this, cases 1 and 2 are often better when you use the composite output from the box rather than S-video or component video. Meanwhile case 3 is best output as component video, then S-video.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

The Dolby logo was put there by the manufacturer of the DCT. According to Motorola, their DCT 2000 have a SPDIF interface that can be set to either PCM or AC-3. This can be hooked into your receiver digital input.

You'll also need to hook up your L/R audio to prevent sound loss when switching thru analog channels.

6. Jacob_R

Jacob_R Extra

I'm going back to dish. I wasn't into audio too much when I had my first one, so I didn't notice if the audio out was digital on my box. Thank you for your replies.