What's new

Falling Skies (TNT) season 2 premieres 6/17/2012 (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just noticed that Moon Bloodgood is pregnant. I wonder if this means her character will get pregnant? Just they need, more things to worry about. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Probably my favorite episode of the series so far. It's amazing how far the show's come since the start of the season. The kid stuff still didn't work for me, but everything else was rock solid. My favorite parts: 1) Tector's over-the-top redneck act being an act rather than just scenery chewing acting. Ryan Robbins has been really good in other things I've seen him in, and the part seemed a little thin for his pedigree. Now I see why the cast him; 2) Charleston, SC being a bombed and nuked out wasteland. Anything else simply wouldn't have made sense. Glad they milked the despair for a bit before revealing that "looks can be deceiving. That being said, I still think Steve Schaffer's right that Charleston's only disguised as a paradise, and something more sinister lurks for the 2nd Mass.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Good episode. My only objection is when they reached the destroyed bridge at Charleston. The cityscape portrayed was so dense up to the river that it indicated it was not the edge of the city. There should have been considerable urban or suburban development on their side of the bridge.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That had to be among the stupidest cliffhangers ever. Hm. On one hand, you can accede to military authority as you have for the ENTIRE RUN OF THE SERIES and make a potentially crucial meeting that could help deliver salvation against the alien threat. On the other hand, you can prop up a megalomaniac take on Neville Chamberlain who was on the verge of trying you for treason mere moments before. Decisions, decisions.
The problem with this show is that it wants to weigh the great questions of political philosophy, but circumstances are perpetually too dire for that to feel anything other than ludicrous. The U.S. Constitution wasn't adopted until four years after the cessation of hostilities with Great Britain. And that wasn't a war with extinction level consequences. When you're facing the termination of the human species, you don't worry about civilian versus military rule. You back the guy who won't get you killed. Manchester has his head in the sand, and he's preventing a meeting that needs to happen. So he has to go. Period.
Always nice to see Matt Frewer and Terry O'Quinn pop up, though.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/321623/falling-skies-tnt-season-2-premieres-6-17-2012/30#post_3961477
That had to be among the stupidest cliffhangers ever. Hm. On one hand, you can accede to military authority as you have for the ENTIRE RUN OF THE SERIES and make a potentially crucial meeting that could help deliver salvation against the alien threat. On the other hand, you can prop up a megalomaniac take on Neville Chamberlain who was on the verge of trying you for treason mere moments before. Decisions, decisions.
The problem with this show is that it wants to weigh the great questions of political philosophy, but circumstances are perpetually too dire for that to feel anything other than ludicrous. The U.S. Constitution wasn't adopted until four years after the cessation of hostilities with Great Britain. And that wasn't a war with extinction level consequences. When you're facing the termination of the human species, you don't worry about civilian versus military rule. You back the guy who won't get you killed. Manchester has his head in the sand, and he's preventing a meeting that needs to happen. So he has to go. Period.
Always nice to see Matt Frewer and Terry O'Quinn pop up, though.
I didn't really take that as the cliffhanger. On one hand it was a moral decision he has to make, but its a no brainer what he will decide. I actually took it as a rhetorical question. For me the cliffhanger is what with the rebel skitters have to say. Totally agree on Matt Frewer and Terry O'Quinn though. Looks like the season finale next week will be a good episode. While not a perfect season, overall I have enjoyed it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I saw "stupidest cliffhanger" in the preview text last night before I could watch the episode and I prepared for the worst, but I agree more with Adam G. Tom won't step into a cell next to Locke, he's just a decent guy who hates how things are having to go down. He probably figures Headroom might end up being a problem later (and he doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to ally himself with rebel skitters), but he's got to make the most of the situation and maybe try to settle things down after the meetup. I enjoyed the ep.

Dan M~

Second Unit
Thumbs up to Pope for being who he is and doing it with style.
It would have really sucked if he had rolled over for the Prez pro-tem. Unfortunately that was the best part of the episode. They obviously were conserving their budget for what I hope will be a griping season finale.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Dan M~ /t/321623/falling-skies-tnt-season-2-premieres-6-17-2012/30#post_3962031
Thumbs up to Pope for being who he is and doing it with style.
It would have really sucked if he had rolled over for the Prez pro-tem. Unfortunately that was the best part of the episode. They obviously were conserving their budget for what I hope will be a griping season finale.
I understand the part about budget. I would rather they done an extra episode in Charleston than at the hospital. Granted the third season may focus on it, but it seems like there were a lot more stories they could have told instead of rushing through it. And it was great that Pope wants to be the one to take him down.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Haven't read the last ten or so posts, still two episodes behind and looking forward to Sunday's finale.
Glad it's been renewed for ten more episodes, but man, we have to wait a year? Really wish they'd do a few more episodes and stagger things throughout the year like "White Collar" and other shows.
So far what I've seen has been far superior to the first season. Not just the special effects budget, but the story itself has become more intriguing, centering more on the central characters, hope it continues.
My only question so far is what did happen to the "Mech" bullets? They were obviously very useful but just seemed to drop out of the storyline with no explanation. Skitters are now in the good/bad phase, might be helpful, maybe not, But nothing better than seeing a Mech blasted to pieces.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Nice season finale. The final scene pointed out just who that weapon actually was for. They are sure not to be allies of the overlords, but I doubt they will be friends to the humans for long.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
Glad it's been renewed for ten more episodes, but man, we have to wait a year? Really wish they'd do a few more episodes and stagger things throughout the year like "White Collar" and other shows.
I'm glad they don't. I have a feeling this would be a show that would get lost in the shuffle for me if it had the competition of the full regular season schedule. It's perfect summer programming for me.
NeilO said:
Nice season finale. The final scene pointed out just who that weapon actually was for. They are sure not to be allies of the overlords, but I doubt they will be friends to the humans for long.
I don't know that the writers have decided that either, but the fact that they're both humanoid and roughly human sized means they were leaving open the possibility that they'll be a more relatable alien. I'm glad they didn't tip the hat as to where this alien stands; I'd rather they have their whole hiatus to figure out where they take this new species. I'm also glad they didn't kill Karen off. Her popping up in three or four episodes a season as a fly in the ointment seems like the right use for that character. It makes the world feel more populated. I'm also glad they reunited Weaver and his daughter and let it stick this time. It gives him a personal stake in things. The show was clearly designed as a Noah Wyle vehicle originally -- TNT's been a good home for him since "ER" -- but Will Patton's brought the goods week in and week out, and this point he's basically co-equal to Tom in importance. It was nice to see that reflected by giving him some family.
It'll be interesting to see what direction they take infected Hal next season, too. Is he Karen's puppet now, or is there something more bizarre going on?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought it was a reasonably good finale.
I do have a problem with the format. This 10 episodes and wait a year is rough. It had been so long this time, I wasn't sure about watching it this time. I had basically forgotten a lot of what I liked about it. To force me to wait until next June may tip the scales.
We've had 20 episodes - not even a full network season yet. And to get each of those ten, it felt like we had to rush through some potential stories.
I have definitely enjoyed the show, I guess I just want more of it, without having to wait so long.
David

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I have to apologize to Adam, because Tom did end up choosing a cell over making the meetup, even if it was interrupted. I liked the episode, but I had some problems with the general. He orders Tom and the others locked up, and they abandon that when the skitters arrive. That turned out to be a good thing, as it would have stopped everything that happened, but they couldn't spare a man or two to put them in their cells? Also, if the 2nd Mass. says there's something to the intel, can you really afford to just blow them off? Even if you hate skitters and don't like the 2nd Mass. much better? And then it's hurrahs and high fives when they get back.
It's been so long since the early episodes that I don't remember good Karen, but I'd like to see her dead now.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was thinking some more about the finale, and they did something that I see over and over, and always find dumb (stupid, moronic, yell at the TV).
Why is it whenever you have a prisoner, or you have a sick patient, they always leave them alone and unattended?
"Hmmm, one of our main characters is sick and possibly infected by an alien. Lets just walk away and close the curtains."
it was infuriating to watch.
David

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/321623/falling-skies-tnt-season-2-premieres-6-17-2012/30#post_3965017
I have to apologize to Adam, because Tom did end up choosing a cell over making the meetup, even if it was interrupted. I liked the episode, but I had some problems with the general. He orders Tom and the others locked up, and they abandon that when the skitters arrive. That turned out to be a good thing, as it would have stopped everything that happened, but they couldn't spare a man or two to put them in their cells? Also, if the 2nd Mass. says there's something to the intel, can you really afford to just blow them off? Even if you hate skitters and don't like the 2nd Mass. much better? And then it's hurrahs and high fives when they get back.
It's been so long since the early episodes that I don't remember good Karen, but I'd like to see her dead now.
Yeah, I got that wrong too. I'm not surprised by the way the Second Mass was blown off. I don't think people believed half of what they had been through. Also when people who haven't fought in a long time are faced with fighting the enemy of my enemy (the Second Mass) becomes my friend.

I am assuming that the "weapon" they destroyed was to protect the Overlords from the new alien that landed. Not sure if they are aligned with the rebel skitters (I'm assuming so as they wanted the weapon destroyed). I'm not sure if they are going to be any better than the Overlords from the human perspective. Are we going to have a three way war, or will they align with the humans to overthrow the Overlords and then leave, or will they then turn on the humans. Interesting twist.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I'm glad they don't. I have a feeling this would be a show that would get lost in the shuffle for me if it had the competition of the full regular season schedule. It's perfect summer programming for me.
I guess in some ways I'm torn in both directions. The summer programming is a nice way of showing things, just that year long wait will be tough.
On the other hand it depends on how things are handled. Just watched the finale of "Suits" and really looking forward to more, apparently it returns in December, but at least they did a great cliffhanger that makes you want more.
Something like "Glee" and others just seem to stop mid-story and pause for a few months. Those I find incredibly annoying.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Falling Skies is a totally forgetable show so the long wait is no problem for me. Then I enjoy it when it comes back around in the summer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A bit of casting news revealed a huge spoiler for Season Three:
The President of the United States before the invasion, played by Stephen Collins, is still alive. A large chunk of the executive branch survived the invasion at Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado and has been mounting an offensive against the aliens in the Western half of the country. The president wants to compare notes with Tom Mason to see if he can improve their fighting capability.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
A bit of casting news revealed a huge spoiler for Season Three:
The President of the United States before the invasion, played by Stephen Collins, is still alive. A large chunk of the executive branch survived the invasion at Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado and has been mounting an offensive against the aliens in the Western half of the country. The president wants to compare notes with Tom Mason to see if he can improve their fighting capability.
Excellent spoiler info, really keeps me looking forward to next summer. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks