What's new

"Falling Down," "Creepshow," "Mars Attacks" - good transfers? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Since these can be purchased for under $10.00 each, I've decided to finally buy them. How do each of these look? Respectable transfers?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Falling Down is not a very good transfer, it shows its age, and it's not even 10 years old. The good thing is it is 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen. But, it is one of Warner's earlier efforts, and it just does not look very good.

It's not awful, and it shouldn't be noticeably bad when watching the movie. It just seems on the soft side from what I remember.

Still as a bargain bin title, it's not a bad purchase.

I can't comment on the other two as I haven't seen them.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I haven't watched it awhile, but I'd have to agree with Luke. The transfer for Falling Down isn't that great. Can't remember exactly, but I seem to remember a little pixelation and shimmering. On the plus side it is anamorphic and in the bargain bin everywhere.

I don't own it, but I saw the Mars Attacks DVD back in '97 and remember it being an OK transfer.

Not sure about Creepshow. It's on my wishlist though.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I remember Mars Attacks! being one of my first DVD rentals and it had a pretty good transfer back then.
The Creepshow transfer is decent, but it does show it's age.
Also, weren't there rumors that there was going to be a Falling Down Special Edition DVD at some point this year or next year?

StevenA

Second Unit
Creepshow's one of my personal favorites, but the transfer is so-so. Not bad by any means, but not sparkling, and having seen the film multiple times when it was first released in theaters, I feel confident it could have looked better.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I remember hearing rumors of an extended cut of Falling Down with a lot of additional footage. However, none of these rumors have been substantiated.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The origin of the rumored 10th Anniversary Special Edition of "Falling Down" DVD didn't even have the release year correct. The 10th Anniversary SE DVD was supposed to come in 2002. The movie came out in 1993. I wouldn't lend too much credence to that claim. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks