What's new

Fall iPhone refresh speculation (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I thought there was already a thread for this but now I don't see one. Apologies if I missed it. 9to5 lays out everything they have heard: http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/26/the-new-iphone/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29 I'd be down if they added three little letters: LTE. But it doesn't sound like that's even rumored these days other than the LTE hardware being put into the Apple stores a few months ago. If LTE happens this year it will have been the best kept secret Apple has had in a long time.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I heard a rumor a while back of a possible larger screen, but seems those have died down. Would love a 4" screen to match the Androids out there. Maybe there will not be a huge upgrade this year. Fortunately the iOS is getting great updates. EDIT: Those are some nice upgrades, but still want the large screen.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

I heard a rumor a while back of a possible larger screen, but seems those have died down. Would love a 4" screen to match the Androids out there.

Actually, 4" wouldn't quite match the many of the Android phones.

I really want a bigger screen. For a time, I was seriously considering an iPad but after thinking about it, what I really want is just a phone with a larger screen. From what I have seen of Android hardware, I think I would love a phone with a screen in the 4.5" to 5" range.

Personally, I don't think we are going to see a larger screen and if that does turn out to be the case, I will be sorely tempted to switch to an Android phone. If a new iPhone model does bump up to 4", it would make leaving iOS a little harder. I am not sure what I would do in that scenario. Guess we will find out soon.

-Keith

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam, just so I can say this now, and you can laugh.. the organization I'm with now.. last year: 700+ Blackberries. We have now switched almost all over to iPhones.. perk: I get an iPhone5 the day it ships.. and a few hundred iPhones has actually provided some cool perks. We turn off BES end of the week

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
So what does the "1" on the phone mean? Could mean they will indtroduce one new phone? The other clues seem to be self explanatory.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattCR

Sam, just so I can say this now, and you can laugh.. the organization I'm with now.. last year: 700+ Blackberries. We have now switched almost all over to iPhones.. perk: I get an iPhone5 the day it ships.. and a few hundred iPhones has actually provided some cool perks. We turn off BES end of the week

If people aren't reading up on Harakiri techniques at RIM HQ, they'd better start, soon. Certainly I don't see anyone getting a new Blackberry in my office -- people are getting iPhones or Androids when they need to a new phone. RIght now they are being kept in business by BBM using teenagers -- once iOS 5 hits with iMessage, they will be in for even more hurt.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Thing is, I strongly prefer the physical keyboard.. strongly prefer it. But after playing with the new BB's, I can understand the issues.. they are just getting farther behind the game. I'm frustrated by the no physical keyboard, but other issues hold that. My next personal phone will probably be a WP7 because of the ability to grab a keyboarded model.. but right now, Android and BB are just turning into platforms I can't consider. And I say this as a LONG time Blackberry Zealot. I've owned a blackberry since the text-only series; so..

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

Quote:

If people aren't reading up on Harakiri techniques at RIM HQ, they'd better start, soon. Certainly I don't see anyone getting a new Blackberry in my office -- people are getting iPhones or Androids when they need to a new phone. RIght now they are being kept in business by BBM using teenagers -- once iOS 5 hits with iMessage, they will be in for even more hurt.

/t/315097/fall-iphone-refresh-speculation#post_3854880

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
One new phone would be the Apple way -- don't confuse the customers. Of course the iPhone 4 will become the new low price/free with subsidy phone.

There are two things that especially interest me:

Will the iPhone 5 be offered factory unlocked (at full unsubsidized price) in the USA from the get go?

How will iCloud handle multiple MobileMe accounts sharing one AppeID for Apps/Media? My wife and I each have our separate MobileMe account (and want to keep it that way -- I wouldn't want her calendars and photo-stream and vice versa. On the other hand we use my AppleID for all our app/media purchases (for obvious reasons). I've heard all sort of talk about multiple AppleIDs, but we have the opposite problem, and can't be alone.

Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

So what does the "1" on the phone mean? Could mean they will indtroduce one new phone? The other clues seem to be self explanatory.

/t/315097/fall-iphone-refresh-speculation#post_3854854

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattCR
Thing is, I strongly prefer the physical keyboard.. strongly prefer it. But after playing with the new BB's, I can understand the issues.. they are just getting farther behind the game. I'm frustrated by the no physical keyboard, but other issues hold that. My next personal phone will probably be a WP7 because of the ability to grab a keyboarded model.. but right now, Android and BB are just turning into platforms I can't consider. And I say this as a LONG time Blackberry Zealot. I've owned a blackberry since the text-only series; so..

How long have you used the iPhone's virtual keyboard? You will improve. But, yes -- if you want a physical keyboard Android or WP7 are your only choices. There will never be an iPhone with a physical keyboard.

Personally I have a very strong preference for the virtual keyboard which allows me to type in four different languages -- indeed when using Cyrillic I will go virtual rather than use my Mac's physical keyboard as seeing which key is which letter makes for much faster going.

My guess on RIM's future: They will be bought then WebOSed* by someone in need of a mobile solution like Dell -- unless Dell ditches the consumer/client PC space and sticks to servers/services -- basically the HP plan of a week ago...

*If people aren't buying RIM BlackBerries they sure as heck aren't going to be buying Dell BlackBerries...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've used my iPod touch (current gen) since it came out; and the touches for a while. Here's the thing.. I can type on a blackberry with it by my side and without looking at it one handed and rarely error. That's almost impossible on a screen keyboard. There are other benefits that way. I don't find the Apple keyboard -bad- it's one of the better touch screen ones. Autocorrect sucks, and the fact I can't seem to get multiple signatures for multiple mail accounts is a real bitch.. if they allow for a signature per account in the next gen, that's the feature I desperately need.

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

Quote:

How long have you used the iPhone's virtual keyboard? You will improve. But, yes -- if you want a physical keyboard Android or WP7 are your only choices. There will never be an iPhone with a physical keyboard.

Personally I have a very strong preference for the virtual keyboard which allows me to type in four different languages -- indeed when using Cyrillic I will go virtual rather than use my Mac's physical keyboard as seeing which key is which letter makes for much faster going.

My guess on RIM's future: They will be bought then WebOSed* by someone in need of a mobile solution like Dell -- unless Dell ditches the consumer/client PC space and sticks to servers/services -- basically the HP plan of a week ago...

*If people aren't buying RIM BlackBerries they sure as heck aren't going to be buying Dell BlackBerries...

/t/315097/fall-iphone-refresh-speculation#post_3854893

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
So is this the iPhone v. 5 or a refreshed version of the 4 like with the 3 and then the 3s? (or what ever it was named)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dalrymple says for sure it's going to be called iPhone 5, i wouldn't bet against him. http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/09/27/apple-announces-iphone-5-event-for-oct-4/

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It should be in the mobile devices though; because that's the way search and new users will look. I get that it's an Apple device, but if we did that, would we discuss Windows tablets in PC?

It should stay in mobile; even if you're comfortable with going with just that forum, it also gets you into other ones you haven't visited as much and that's always good for the health of the whole ;)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
And I get that.. but it does devalue the purpose of having an entire forum if we create one for mobile and phone devices and leave out certain (large market) mobile and phone devices. It's bad logic. Because it was done in the past doesn't mean it's right.. if it moves back, it moves back, but really, it makes it pointless to have a forum for phones if we remove phones from it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks