What's new

Fake CNN Report (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I assume this is a bad idea of an april folls joke- since no other news source is reporting it --and they list the murderer as "Alek Hidell" which is the alias used by Lee Harvey Oswald (along with Alex Hydell).
I was just taken a back at first, as I wouldn't expect CNN to post an april fools joke like that.
http://[email protected]/index.html
LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Microsoft Corp. Chairman William H. Gates III was killed today in Los Angeles during an appearance at a charity event held in MacArthur Park. Hit by two bullets believed to have been shot from the adjacent Park Plaza Hotel, Gates was rushed by ambulance to nearby St. Vincent Medical Center, where doctors declared him dead on arrival at 12:46 p.m. PST.
Police said a fleeing suspect identified as Alek Hidell was shot in the basement of the hotel by an LAPD officer after allegedly wounding another officer. Hidell died at County-USC Medical Center at 2:55 p.m. PST from those wounds. Police identified the wounded officer, listed in critical condition at St. Vincent Medical Center, as Tom Baker, who was deployed by the LAPD's Rampart division as part of the security precautions for Mr. Gates' unpublicized appearance. The officer who who shot Hidell, Jacob Powell, was a recent recruit with six months experience on the LAPD, police said. Appearing before an audience of roughly 200 invited guests and journalists to present a $100 million donation to local arts organization Arts 4 L.A., Mr. Gates was walking to the center of the band shell in MacArthur Park with an oversized presentation check when two shots struck him in the shoulder and chest.
A number of witnesses reported seeing a figure on the roof of the Park Plaza Hotel fire the second shot at Mr. Gates. Other eyewitnesses reported seeing a man flee the hotel and enter a nearby restaurant.
"Our investigation is still ongoing," announced LAPD Captain Jesse Day at a press conference this afternoon, "but at present, all evidence points towards Alek Hidell as the sole perpetrator of this crime."
Police continue to treat both the park and hotel as active crime scenes.
Lone gunman suspected, killed on scene
Suspect Alek Hidell was described by LAPD spokespeople as "probably a lone gunman," although they stressed that the crime is currently under investigation.
LAPD spokesman David J. Kalish said that Officer Powell was forced to shoot Hidell when the alleged assassin tried to shoot the officer. "[Hidell] attacked one officer [Baker] on the fifth floor of the hotel, then tried to attack Officer Powell in the basement. Officer Powell was forced to fire to defend himself." Per standard procedure, Powell was assigned to non-patrol duty pending the outcome of an internal investigation.
Kalish said the suspect made "no statements of any kind" after being shot by Powell, despite apparently being alive in the hotel basement for over 50 minutes before being loaded into an ambulance.
Responding to questions raised by police critics about the delay in allowing medical personnel to reach Hidell, Kalish stated, "Until officers on the scene were confident the scene was secure, we couldn't further jeopardize anyone's safety."
Kalish also stated that Rampart Capt. Day also "personally" made the "difficult decision" to have Hidell treated at a different--and more distant--hospital than the one where both Gates and Baker were sent.
"At the time, we were unsure if there were any additional accomplices involved in this crime," Kalish explained.
Police officer clings to life Officer Baker, rushed via helicopter to the same hospital that treated Mr. Gates, was listed in critical but stable condition on life support. Officer Baker's family arrived at St. Vincent at 1:40 p.m. Baker was described as suffering from "several gunshot wounds" by hospital spokesperson Marisa Contel.
They even acknowledge the Hidell/JFK connection by providing a link to something about JFK in the "related story" area below. Weird.
-Vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Just realized this is not really a CNN site-- rather "http://www.cnn-news.com/" which is not CNN's domain. Really convincing fake though!
Organization:
JORGE COMPANY ARMENGOL
JORGE COMPANY ARMENGOL
TERRA FERMA 35 CHALET
TARRAGONA, SP 43007
ES
Phone: 977 207 618
Email: [email protected]
Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: Link Removed
Domain Name: CNN-NEWS.COM
Created on..............: Sun, Mar 10, 2002
Expires on..............: Mon, Mar 10, 2003
Record last updated on..: Sun, Mar 10, 2002
Administrative Contact:
JORGE COMPANY ARMENGOL
JORGE COMPANY ARMENGOL
TERRA FERMA 35 CHALET
TARRAGONA, SP 43007
ES
Phone: 977 207 618
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
iLatin Holdings
Jorge Harnecker
Av. El bosque Norte 0440, of 501, Las Condes
Santiago, Region Metroplotana 6760235
CL
Phone: 56-2-3776205
Domain servers in listed order:
ORION.IHOLDING.CL 200.27.198.100
ANDROMEDA.IHOLDING.CL 200.28.152.130
Interesting... Bad taste in jokes however.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
that "@64.39.46.20...r.01/index.html" addy looks fishy...

its a joke... bad one at that...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
As a frequent IRC user you learn that whenever you see "@" in the url assume it's a fake.

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely...please rename the thread.
I hate April Fools Day...I'm way too gullible.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Why do people want to expend the energy and resources to fabricate something like this horrible story?!!
It's truly a very cruel trick!
I saw this on another forum-type website earlier today....and I must say, if for just an instant [considering that it has the appearance of being from the legit CNN site], it had me going. But the instant I saw the name Alek Hidell, I knew it was a joke right then! Being very familiar with the JFK killing, I recognized this Lee Oswald alias immediately.
I must say, if these pranksters REALLY wanted to get more people believing this evil joke, they surely should have used some other name as the killer. Because lots of people, like me, would recognize the name "Hidell" right off.
Terrible, terrible 4/1 gag!! Mr. Gates and family should seek out the culprits and drop a 500-pound box of Microsoft software on their friggin' heads!!! :angry:

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
the format is http://login:[email protected]:port you can stick any old rubbish in the login:password section and people don't read the rest of it.
Also these aren't new or specially for april fools by any means, and there are many of them, James Hetfield, Britney Spears etc etc.
This one sounds like the plot to that movie that was being made

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I thought it to be quite clever. I love elaborate practical jokes. Sure it's sick and wrong, but that is half the fun.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Did this cruel April 1 joke ever make the national news?

Anybody see it on CNN (or other)?? Just curious as to whether the culprit(s) was being seeked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks