What's new

Fake Alien chases lady, she sues (of course) (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
BBC Link

If she is truly suffering from "severe emaotional damage" then I bet she stopped to talking to her friends, since they are the ones who set it up. I wonder if they will air this episode or not, will be interesting to find out.

Scare Tactics will have its first episode on April 4, get your PVRs ready.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Words cannot begin to describe the loathing I have for "reality" TV.

The "alien" and the show's producers are lucky just getting sued. Some people may well run away when faced with danger and the sight of others being assaulted or killed. Others will not. It is incredibly stupid, and dangerous to the actors, to pull stunts like this.

But then, I might very well tune in to see someone go 'kung fu' and kick the fake alien's ass into the next county. The show's producers and so-called friends also need a grand ass-kicking as well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But then, I might very well tune in to see someone go 'kung fu' and kick the fake alien's ass into the next county.
Or someone pulling out a gun and filling the "alien" full of hot lead. Sad to say, but that's the only sort of thing shocking enough that might put the kibosh on these sad "reality" shows.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
When I first saw the ads for this show I was thinking it looked like they might be going a little too far. It appears they will putting unsuspecting people into situations where they truly believe that their well-being and possibly their life is in danger. They'll be in a world of shit (and rightfully so) if something goes wrong.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Another lawsuit thread huh? So now we're suing people for pranks? Better watch out when you have that next surprise birthday party, you might get sued.

Yeah, this was a pretty intense one, but don't you think that once it was revealed as a prank, the emotional distress would be over?

Julie K

Screenwriter
So now we're suing people for pranks? Better watch out when you have that next surprise birthday party, you might get sued.
Apples and oranges. This 'prank' made the woman feel as though she were in fear for her life.

In many states that is legal grounds for self-defense, up to and including lethal means of self-defense.

Engaging in over the top, and potentially dangerous stunts, and then saying "Oh, it's just a prank! Get a sense of humor!" reminds me of those who make tasteless (racist, sexist, etc.) types of 'jokes' and then try to say it's just a joke and try to shift the blame to the listener.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I'm glad she's suing and I hope she wins. I'm getting so tired of all the hack shows out there that play a joke on someone all in the name of television. Why is it that they think they can go around bothering people and when they get all pissed they just say "Oh, it's for my TV show. Smile over at that van, you're on camera," and all is well?

If someone gets me angry and worked up and says "Smile you're on camera," I'd beat the snot out of them.

I wonder though...if this continues and more and more shows pop up doing more and more wild stunts, when will we see a "crying wolf" reaction. Soon people won't react to anything because they think they're being taped and don't want to be made fun of on television. I can just imagine some poor camper out in the woods watching his friend get attacked by a bear while he stands by and does nothing but think to himself "That's a great costume. I wonder where the cameras are."

Julie K

Screenwriter
if this continues and more and more shows pop up doing more and more wild stunts, when will we see a "crying wolf" reaction. Soon people won't react to anything because they think they're being taped and don't want to be made fun of on television.
Very good point. I fear that you are correct and it's only a matter of time until we see this happening.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
And while some may say that because the attacker was dressed up as an alien, she should have suspected a set-up, I would say that a whacked-out serial killer in a costume is an even better explanation, especially given the reaction of her so-called friends.
My brother went to Universal Studios a few years back and went on the Jaws ride. If you haven't been on the ride, I'll explain quickly...

You get in a boat and there's an actor playing the tour guide of the boat...you navigate through this fake pond and they make it up like you're being attacked by Jaws. There's one point where you see the fin come out of the water and the boat goes into this barn, it's dark in there and then all of a sudden the barn & boat start shaking and fire balls start exploding...all along, the tour guide is acting it up "Oh no! What's Happening", etc.

My brother said this woman (a tourist) got SO scared and thought it was SO real that she started to jump out of the boat. Luckily some people grabbed her before she actually jumped, but think of the law suit if she actually did jump and got hurt...

This just goes to show you that even if it's obvious that the prank might be a setup to almost everyone, some people still might be too scared to comprehend what's real and what's not...Think of all the people who scream in a haunted house...do THEY honestly think it's real?????

So I agree that using the "It's obviously fake" is a poor excuse to use after scaring the crap out of someone.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Given the story earlier this week about the man who was shot and died at a gas station somewhere, while those around him did not react at all or render any aid, it almost makes you wonder if that's exactly what happened in this situation.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Reminds me of a high school prank we pulled on a friend. Myself and my buddy Jim were to meet Matt & his girlfriend over at Jim's girlfriend's place. When we got there, Matt & his girl hadn't arrived yet, so we hatched a plan to scare the snot out of them. We hid my car behind the house and then hid in the basement. When the other two arrived a few minutes later, Jim's girlfriend told them we weren't there yet. As they waited for us upstairs, we opened a downstairs window and made some loud noises. Matt, of course, being the "only guy" in the house with two girls, was sent to investigate. While Jim & I hid in a dark corner, Matt concluded that somebody had tried to break into the house. He was talked out of calling the police on the matter, so they locked all of the doors and windows in the house continued to wait for us.

At any rate, our next plan was to hit the circuit breaker (it was late at night) and go running up the stairs, which we did. But halfway up the stairs I realized, "Hey, Matt's a little aggressive. What if he decides to be a brave man and save the day by attacking the 'intruders' with a knife, baseball bat, or some other weapon?" I quickly mentioned this to Jim so we deviated from our plan and took a detour out a side door.

Thankfully Matt ran screaming to his car. But as the three of them were driving away (tires squealing & everything), Matt saw us come out onto the street and decided he was going to run us over (he still had no idea who we were). Jim's girlfriend quickly told him the truth, so thankfully nobody was harmed, but he came reasonably close to hitting us.

That was the last serious prank I played on anyone.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
If it was illegal, take them to criminal court. If it wasn't, leave it alone. I just can not sympathize with a lawsuit where the worst damage was that someone got upset and scared, when there was in fact no real threat..

/Mike

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
That's all well and good, Micke, until the unsuspecting victim becomes the threat. :)

This reminds of the Challenger disaster, where onlookers clapped and thought it was "part of the show". Yikes.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
when there was in fact no real threat..
So if I stand by the roadside and pull a toy gun out at an passing car...the driver freaks out and swerves, hitting another car, that I can't be sued because my toy gun is no "real threat"?

p.s. The article DID say she went to the hospital for "physical injuries". I can see if she was only suing for emotional stress, but if you pull a prank and the person gets hurt...prepare to face the consequences.

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
I'm just disgusted that Sci Fi's airing crap like Scare Tactics and The Dream Team while abandoning Farscape. :frowning:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm just disgusted that Sci Fi's airing crap like Scare Tactics and The Dream Team while abandoning Farscape
------------------------------------------------------------

Crap like "Scare Tactics" is cheaper to produce than an effects intensive show like "Farscape". For something like "Scare Tactics", all that is needed is a video camera and some morons to take part. A show like "Farscape" requires actual skilled tradespeople to make it. It doesn't help that "Reality" TV is currently popular. When "Scare Tactics" airs the "Boobers" will be switching channels enmass to watch the "unsuspecting victim" get the beejezuz "scared" out of her by the Alien. :) Shit, she probably launched the "lawsuit" to gain publicity for the show. As long as there is a bunch of TV zombies willing to watch crap like "Scare Tactics", "Joe Millionaire", "The Bachelor/Bachelorette" and every inane variation that spews from the bowels of Hollywood, then the powers-that-be will be only too willing to provide the swill.

Users who are viewing this thread