What's new

Fair Warning : Mega Memory 16x (GCN) (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Cube.ign.com did a report a week ago about the quality of the Mega Memory 16c by Interact. It's a 3rd party memory card for the Nintendo Gamecube that stores 1000 pages of memory (as compared to Nintendo's 59 pages). One would get the indication from reading the article that this is a perfect memory solution.

It is not.

I bought the card last Saturday and proceeded to transfer (not copy) all of my data to it. I'm well aware that as a Network Administrator, I should get an idiot of the year award for this smooth maneuver, but I guess I'm either too trusting, gullible, or lack foresight in matters of video game saving (I'm only one generation away from saving to cart).

Anyway, I played with my gamecube through Sunday night when Gauntlet announced "Corrupt game file, cannot save". Further, every game now recognized the card as needing to be formatted to be useable. Even the gamecube's memory manager sees it as such.

Contacting Interact's support they indicated that the card was defective and that the data is just gone. I've since returned the card, but wanted to warn anyone who might listen. I've already posted to the IGN forums, and there is an equal mix of those who are perfectly happy with this card and those who have been equally screwed.

I'm now in the process of recreating a healthy Chao garden and recollecting over 250 Smash trophies (not to mention once again opening each character and most levels). If only they'd release the SD memory solution so that I can backup to my computer.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Thanks for the heads-up. This card was tempting, but I'm glad I didn't give in and remained "first party pure." Nintendo's 251 card is coming out this June and will be a good "stepping stone" towards the SD adapter.

I read the IGN review where they treated this card like the second coming. I also read their later story where they reported reader complaints, but still stood behind their review. Both times I saw big huge ads for Interact. Coincidence?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yea, the PS2 version of this card is horrible too. The PS2 version comes with a disc that you have to load prior to loading your game disc -as if PS2 load times weren't bad enough already! To add insult to injury the instructions must have been written by a lower primate.

I will not sell these cards to people shopping in my building. It's really too bad because the Sony brand cards are still very hard to find.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Many of the mega memory cards for systems use Compressed memory, which are notorious for corrupting game saves...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Guess the 3rd parties still aren't learning from their mistakes. I unknowingly bought unofficial memcards for the N64 and PSX "back in the day." :) To make a long story short I got screwed and so did my interest in the games I had saved. booooo!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I've only bought 3rd party memory card my entire life. I must be lucky cause it still works. It's a 2x Playstation memory card.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I got burned while playing skies of arcadia. I lost my save about 30% into the game. since then, I only bought VMUs. Good thing the game was fun.
Oh, and this is another good reason to put a hard drive in your console.
:)

Andre F

Screenwriter
I only buy first party memory cards for all systems. I don't think it really matters on almost any other accessory but I take my game data seriously. Hell, I still have my saves from Castlevania SOTN tucked away somewhere.

-Andre F

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I bought a 16X card, and have had nothing but good experiences with it so far. When I bought it, I knew it would be a hit & miss deal; if I got a good card, I wouldn't have any problems throughout the life of it. If I got a bad one, I'd keep my reciept and return it.

I have no problem recommending them. Just keep your reciept, and don't do anything foolish (like transferring important saved games from your Memory Card 59 onto it).

I use it mainly with ASB 2003, and having 1000 blocks is a godsend, because I can save my very large expansion team and a roster of created players. The Memory Card 251 will be a good option when it comes out, but 251 blocks still seems a little paltry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks