Faint horizontal bar problem

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RobbieF, Mar 4, 2004.

1. RobbieF

RobbieF Extra

I figure this is more of a noise/connection issue rather than a display issue...

When advancing through the AVIA test patterns with white areas, I notice very faint (slightly darker than white) horizontal bars. These areas seem to shift and move whenever I press forward to advance to the next pattern. They will move slightly during and immediately after pressing "next" on my dvd remote and then stay still.

They are not all that noticable (can't see anything watching moving pictures on dvds) but it still bothers me. I know it's not just an AVIA thing, it is just easier to see on the white background patterns on this dvd.

I thought maybe I was picking up noise in the component cables. I recently upgraded from Monster Video 1 cables to Blue Jeans Cable (wasn't sure if the Video 1 had the bandwidth requirement for progressive scan??) and it didn't go away.

Could it possibly be power related? I am using cheap home surge protectors on everything.

Equipment:
    Panasonic 53" HDTV (PT-53WXD63)
    Sony DVD player (DVP-NC665P/B)

2. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Unplug your cable or satellite connection from your TV or receiver while you use the Avia and see this helps. Most horizontal lines are some type of ground loop caused by different grounding throughout your system. If it does help, then you need to check your earth ground where your cable comes into the house. Connections outside have a tendency to come loose or corrode.

Dennis

3. RobbieF

RobbieF Extra

I don't have a cable or satellite connection although I do have an attic antenna connected for OTA HDTV.

The antenna isn't grounded in any way, just suspended in the attic. I will see if unplugging it makes a difference.

Thanks

4. RobbieF

RobbieF Extra

After doing a little more research on what you said, it is probably the fact that my dvd player is plugged into a separate surge protector than my tv (causing a potential ground loop). It may simply be fixed by plugging them both into the same outlet! I will try it tonight.

5. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Eliminating grounding differences anywhere in your setup usually helps video lines and audio hums.

Dennis