1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Faint grey outlines to the right of most objects on Sony KP57WS500

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Aaron Beirnes, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Aaron Beirnes

Aaron Beirnes Auditioning

I have March 2003 built Sony KP57WS500. I have noticed faint grey outlines to the right of most objects when viewing standard def tv and dvds.
    Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Reduce your "sharpness" control to near or at the minimum. If possible, disable the scan-velocity modulation. You are looking at excessive edge "enhancement." If the Sony has a "Movie" mode, use that as well.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Sony rptvs have 4 levels of SVM according to picture mode selected. It's heaviest in vivid, a bit lowere in Standard, still on but less intense in Movie, and off on Pro. It can be adjusted to a different intensity or turned off in any mode using the service menu.

Reducing sharpness will also help but won't get rid of this "ghosting" completely. It's most noticeable on poor signals, almost nonexistent on dvd and HD.

Go back to the store and look at a bunch of other tvs like I did after seeing this on my KP57-HW40, you'll probably see it on almost every set in the store just like I did--Sony or other mfg.

I didn't notice it for the first month I had the set then made the mistake of reading a thread about it over at HTS. I obsessed about it for weeks then after seeing it on almost every other set I looked at I got used to it and hardly notice it any more.

4. Mika-H

Mika-H Stunt Coordinator

Didn't this TV have a "bug" where it had ghosting that couldn't be fixed?

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Yup, so does Toshiba and most Hitachis. It's not a big deal unless all you watch is weak cable channels or overcompressed satellite.