?Failing sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ron_Yeoh, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Ron_Yeoh

Ron_Yeoh Extra

Hi..how do I know if my 5 yr old sub Mirage PS12-180 is on its last legs? I'm getting a persistent low rumbling when it's on even though the receiver is not powered up and sometimes I can hear this inherent rumble watching a movie..have tried checking all the connections to no avail. Is there anything else I can do before forking our more readies for another sub? Ta

2. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

You could try some solder deflux sprayed into the volume pot. Pots can oxidize and act flaky over time. (Make sure sub is unplugged a while before trying it.)

3. John S

John S Producer

Hmm Maybe it is... I'll bet you have abused it pretty good for 5 years. At least if it were mine, I would know I had abused it for 5 years.

4. ChrisCan

ChrisCan Agent

could it be a ground loop hum?

5. Ron_Yeoh

Ron_Yeoh Extra

what's a ground loop hum and what do I do about it?

6. ChrisCan

ChrisCan Agent

Im not an expert on it but it's a kind of feed back from your homes electrical system caused by poor grounding of the home wiring. I have never experienced it but i understand it's a farly common problem with sub noise. I think you need an electrican to fix it properly. I also think there are these cheater plugs that you plug into the wall socket first then plug the sub into that. I believe it isolates the ground circuit. Not sure where to get them.
    What's the condition of your sub pre out cable? Is it pinched, frayed. Is it an insulated COAX type? I would unplug all connections to sub and try plugging it into different outlets around the house and see if the rumble disappears.