What's new

?Failing sub (1 Viewer)

Ron_Yeoh

Grip
Hi..how do I know if my 5 yr old sub Mirage PS12-180 is on its last legs? I'm getting a persistent low rumbling when it's on even though the receiver is not powered up and sometimes I can hear this inherent rumble watching a movie..have tried checking all the connections to no avail. Is there anything else I can do before forking our more readies for another sub? Ta

Elinor

Supporting Actor
You could try some solder deflux sprayed into the volume pot. Pots can oxidize and act flaky over time. (Make sure sub is unplugged a while before trying it.)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm Maybe it is... I'll bet you have abused it pretty good for 5 years. At least if it were mine, I would know I had abused it for 5 years.

ChrisCan

Agent
Im not an expert on it but it's a kind of feed back from your homes electrical system caused by poor grounding of the home wiring. I have never experienced it but i understand it's a farly common problem with sub noise. I think you need an electrican to fix it properly. I also think there are these cheater plugs that you plug into the wall socket first then plug the sub into that. I believe it isolates the ground circuit. Not sure where to get them.
What's the condition of your sub pre out cable? Is it pinched, frayed. Is it an insulated COAX type? I would unplug all connections to sub and try plugging it into different outlets around the house and see if the rumble disappears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks