Facts of Life Season 3 coming 10/24!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Greg Brobeck, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Greg Brobeck

Greg Brobeck Auditioning

2. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    "I've just had another one of my brilliant ideas !" I'm going to buy this box set. I'm so glad the first box did well enough to warrant this. Now if we can just keep the ball rolling. At least through the halcyon days that were The Clooney Years.

3. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I know there are cynics who don't like the show (last FOL thread we had got crapped on), but there are a lot of us who DO.

I hope that season 3 sells well and the entire series comes out on DVD in a fairly timely manner. I know FOL is a show that either you love or you hate, but to those who hate the show, this is NOT a show that is exactly rerun-abused, so it coming out on DVD like it is is actually beneficial to the fans, as TV Land and Hallmark won't air it.

4. Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W Stunt Coordinator

This is like a miracle considering the company releasing the sets. They managed to churn out all the seasons of Good Times and Sanford and Son, I don't know how many 80s series they have completed on DVD but I for one want all of Facts of Life even the years with McKenzie Astin, Cloris Leachman--and who could forget George.

5. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Im looking forward to it as well , but until i see it posted by either David or Gord on tv shows on dvd , then ill believe it.

6. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Theyve now posted it at tv shows on dvd.com, so now its official !

7. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

Great news, but what about Season 3 of Diff'rent Strokes?

8. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Is it at all possible that my boyfriend won't see this news and I can get it for him for Christmas?

Prolly not. Too late for his birthday, too early for Christmas.

Very good news nonetheless.

9. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I know I'm in a minority here, but I actually am looking forward more to the later seasons. I think the show was it's funniest in the Over Our Heads seasons, definately cheesiest too, but funniest as well

10. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Oh, and who could forget Pipa ? Anybody ?

*cricket noises*

11. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I hated Pippa, lol. I was not a big fan of the last season, to me when Blair and Jo graduated college at the end of season 8 (sorry if that's a "spoiler" considering it was about schoolgirls), the show had come full circle and should've ended there, of course, I'd still get season 9 if they release it.

12. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I'm liking the s3 artwork better than the s1/2 set. I think this is going to be a pattern for the rest of the series, having a photo of each character from that season

13. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

There is a behind the scenes movie coming to NBC on September 4.

Which do you think comes to DVD first, Facts of Life in its entirety, or any more Diff'rent Strokes?

14. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I think a factor in Facts' success is that it amassed a huge cult following and an entirely new generation of fans when it aired on Nick At Nite several years ago. I noticed on Facts message boards, a group of people who were being born when the show ended were discovering the show for the first time, so you see a teenage market (granted, not as big a teen market as would buy The OC or Laguna Beach, but more teens than most shows from the era) purchasing the DVD's alongside the 25-35 year old crowd who grew up with it the first time around. I've encountered tons of teenagers from boards like Sitcoms Online and Beyond The Facts Of Life who bought the DVD's after initially being exposed to the show through NAN the way the rest of us were originally exposed to it on NBC.

With Diff'rent Strokes, unlike Facts, I think the stigma drawn to the name of the show has really hurt its appeal. Those of us who grew up with the show have been getting the DVD's, but a lot of people cannot separate the actor from the character, therefore it hasn't been given a fair shot on DVD. Unfortunately, I think the best years of Diff'rent Strokes are just around the corner, the first two seasons are a little on the overtly cutesy side to the point where some episodes are unbearable, with the exception of one truly great episode in season two (The Rivals). Season 3 is really when Diff'rent Strokes hits its stride but I have a feeling a lot of people haven't given 1 and 2 a chance on DVD to get to those episodes. I bought 1 and 2 to get to the better seasons, but I guess I'm going to have to live with what I have, and season 2 is better than season 1 anyways, so I am happy that Sony at least gave it a second chance.

I personally prefer Facts to Strokes (Facts is my #5 favorite show of all time, Strokes is in the teens for me), so it won't necessarily hurt my feelings if we get all of Facts on DVD (I'd get all nine seasons) before future Strokes. Even though I hope one of these days, seasons 3-6 of Strokes may eventually get released, I'd never bother with the Sam/Maggie episodes again, season 6 is the ending point for me for Diff'rent Strokes.

Seeing season 3 of Facts get announced so quickly proves that my theory was right. I remember talking to a friend about this, and he thought Sony may never release FOL on DVD because Strokes wasn't the hottest seller, and I was "well, I think FOL appeals to a wider audience and would sell better on DVD", and lo and behold (and thank god), I was right. I hope in a timely manner, we'll see the girls graduate Eastland, then open Edna's Edibles, then open Over Our Heads, then say goodbye to Mrs. G and hello to Beverly Ann and then Blair buy Eastland all in the next three or four years. (Sorry if that spoiled anything for anyone, but we are talking a sitcom that peaked around 1982).

15. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    God help any DVD release of any show that hits its stride after its first season.

Even so, did you see any ads for Diff'rent Strokes on DVD? I didn't. Other than the mention in the outdated flyer in many Sony DVDs, I didn't see any. And four season 1 episodes were edited, thus making the use of the phrase "the complete first season" Orwellian.

Also, it's Sony we're talking about. Have they ever stuck to a regular release schedule?

16. Pavan_P

Pavan_P Second Unit

17. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Thanks for the review. For once Sony does not appear to have screwed up.

Now it's up to them to see what they do to season 4. How will they handle the Paris movie and the 1-hour season finale?

18. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I hope season 3 sells as well as the 1/2 set did. I would hate the show to be abandoned when I personally thought the show got even better in the Edna's Edibles seasons.

19. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Sony's home video division is under new management, maybe things will turn around. Maybe we'll see releases flow at a reasonable pace, not trickle out. Maybe we'll see more care put into the releases.

Season 4, BTW, has the episode that was airing the exact moment that I was born.

20. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

If only Season one didn't have a cut episode.