What's new

Facts about Perspecta Stereophonic Sound (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yet, I’m far more concerned there isn’t enough room on a slipcover for a large Perspecta logo.
A proper slipcover logo is blind embossed and then encrusted with silver from the Comstock lode.

Best encountered also had a lenticular pattern, and if one rubbed along the grooves the Paramount Perspecta theme would play.

These are extremely rare, with fewer than five examples known. That’s fewer than a 1795 $5 gold piece with a heraldic eagle reverse.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
If the 4 track magnetic soundtracks are still in existence, I don’t see the point of also including the Perspecta ones.

That's a different situation, and not the case on The Fastest Gun Alive. The soundtrack was only ever optical, either mono or Perspecta. There never was a true stereo version.

In such a case, I would've certainly appreciated the Perspecta option on the blu-ray. Do others feel differently?

Real Name
Jayson
Jailhouse Rock was actually filmed Full Fame 1.37 and cropped to 2.35. I guess you could call it SuperScope 235 or Super 35.
Along with Jailhouse Rock, there were several Flat photographed / Anamorphic released titles from MGM, such as:

Tip On A Dead Jockey
House of Numbers
High School Confidential
I Accuse!
High Cost of Loving
Imitation General
The Tunnel Of Love
Night of the Quarter Moon

All were Black and White—most will say “in Cinemascope” during the main titles, followed by a credit in the next card where “Process Lenses by Panavision” is listed.

Real Name
Jayson
That's a different situation, and not the case on The Fastest Gun Alive. The soundtrack was only ever optical, either mono or Perspecta. There never was a true stereo version.

In such a case, I would've certainly appreciated the Perspecta option on the blu-ray. Do others feel differently?

I don't think this guy is a fan....

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Andy doesn’t appear to have a center channel with his monitor and LR speakers on the floor. 😂
My 5.1 set up has a center speaker under my monitor and the LR speakers on the floor. Surrounds are on speaker stands around ear level. Sounds awesome to me that way. Not sure why having the main speakers on the floor is an issue.

mikael

Auditioning
Real Name
Mikael Christensen
Well that didn't work :)
I am using this for films with intact Perspecta control track, Forbiden Planet's french audio on DVD, works perfectly.
DSC_1641.JPG

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Along with Jailhouse Rock, there were several Flat photographed / Anamorphic released titles from MGM, such as:

Tip On A Dead Jockey
House of Numbers
High School Confidential
I Accuse!
High Cost of Loving
Imitation General
The Tunnel Of Love
Night of the Quarter Moon

All were Black and White—most will say “in Cinemascope” during the main titles, followed by a credit in the next card where “Process Lenses by Panavision” is listed.
Night of the Quarter Moon is a film I particularly want on disc.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well that didn't work :)
I am using this for films with intact Perspecta control track, Forbiden Planet's french audio on DVD, works perfectly.
View attachment 219405
Beautiful piece of gear. Which calls for the question…

How many discs have been released using a track positive or negative as a source, unknowingly encoded with Perspecta, and not decoded?

mikael

Auditioning
Real Name
Mikael Christensen
God ?
Just got a Japanese laserdisc of High Society, with mono sound. The meters on my Perspecta Decoder are active during playback, but I'm not sure the disk has the original Perspecta control track, the decoder could just be reacting to "bass rumble".
It would be nice if there was a list films on, VHS-DVD-LD-BD ect. with intact Perspecta tracks.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
God ?
Just got a Japanese laserdisc of High Society, with mono sound. The meters on my Perspecta Decoder are active during playback, but I'm not sure the disk has the original Perspecta control track, the decoder could just be reacting to "bass rumble".
It would be nice if there was a list films on, VHS-DVD-LD-BD ect. with intact Perspecta tracks.
The soundtrack was remixed in true stereo from the prerecording masters for the laserdisc which was later used for the DVD. I’m not certain the Perspecta track survives. The new track I am certain would be superior to the.Perspcta one in any case. Let’s hope for a Blu-ray with the 5.1 track.

mikael

Auditioning
Real Name
Mikael Christensen
The new track I am certain would be superior to the.Perspcta one in any case. Let’s hope for a Blu-ray with the 5.1 track.
Not a fan of old movies pumped up to 5.1 (unless we are talking about 6 track mag sound). I like to do my own decoding, that's why I use a Dolby CP200 for Dolby Stereo soundtracks.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Not a fan of old movies pumped up to 5.1 (unless we are talking about 6 track mag sound). I like to do my own decoding, that's why I use a Dolby CP200 for Dolby Stereo soundtracks.
I would tend to agree with you if it’s simulated 5.1. The 5.1 track of High Society that was generated was from stereo sources so sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zukz15
Recent bookmarks