1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

factory refurb receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by sean f, Jan 7, 2004.

1. sean f

sean f Agent

is it wise to buy a factory refurb receiver? I checked and the retailer is an authorized dealer but is the product worth the reduced price?

2. John S

John S Producer

I have had the best luck with refurb / renewed products.

It tends to look brand new, carries the warranties,ect..ect..

3. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

If it's Onecall.com - I can recommend them. They are a factory auth'd dealer, refurb units come with 1yr factory warranties. I bought an Onkyo receiver for about half-price, it was marked "minor cosmetic defects" when it arrived, but if there were any they must have been fixed because I can't find any.

4. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Stunt Coordinator

I bought the HK 225 from ecost.com and the chassis had a little dent in it on top but the paint and faceplate (as well as the connections) were all perfect.

It works wonderfully now that I've retured a shoddy dvd player.

It was only $230-about half the cost of a new one and it works like a charm [​IMG]

rogo

5. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Factory refurbs can be better than new. Afterall, the bugs and other problems have probably been fixed...........hence, the refurb. [​IMG]

6. Steven_N

Steven_N Extra

I recently purchased a refurbed Marantz SR-9200 with all the new upgrades and a RC-5200 Touchscreen Remote from Accessories4Less who are an online authorized Marantz dealer. I saved alot of money and found the unit to be in perfect cosmetic and working condition. I've been extrememly happy with it. I was even able to purchase an extended warranty for 3 years for about $75.00 which is identical to a brand new one. I easily saved over a $1000 on this set-up. Make sure you're dealing with a reputable company like I did. Their service and sales people were terrific and I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

7. JeremyM

JeremyM Auditioning

I just got my Onkyo SR-501 refurb from eCost today. It's marked on the box as having "minor cosmetic defects," but it looks absolutely pristine to me.

While this has been my only refurb experience thus far, general consensus seems to be that it's pretty safe.

8. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

I bought a refurb Harmon Kardon AVR525 from Harmons ebay store.

No complaints. Just over half the cost of a new one

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I just purchased a refurb Onkyo TX-8211 stereo receiver for our bedroom. Unfortunately, my experience was not as good as others here. The remote control does not work at all with the unit. The defect appears to be with the IR receiver built into the Onkyo, not the remote itself. I tried two different universal remotes -- Harmony SST-659 and One For All Cinema 7 -- defined with the proper Onkyo receiver codes, and neither of these work either.

I'll be calling J&R today to arrange a return. This is my first experience buying a refurb unit, and it will probably be my last one, too.

10. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    I just had some bad luck with something from Ecost. Had to send back an Onkyo 601 that stopped working in about an hour. I had the unit for over a month in the box already unforunately. But they sent me an return auth no problem as long as I paid for shipping which amounted to $12 via Fedex ground. I did reorder a refurb 701 from them though and hoping for the best.

11. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Like Steven_N, dealing with accessories4less.com was a great experience for me. Even though I had the money to buy new, I decided to buy another refurb Marantz integrated amp which was my third piece of HT gear from them just because of the no hassle no questions asked helpful service their reps provide.