factory car stereo have audio jacks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shayne Lebrun, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I've a 99 Chevy Cavalier, with the factory default radio/CD Player. It's got an 'aux' function button, so I'm wondering if it's actually got audio inputs (be it 1/8th inch 'headphone' style jack, or l/r RCA style) to plug me MP3 player in.

Anybody have any idea? And if so, suggestions on the best way to get to them?

Thanks!

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

my first guess is that it's there for an optional GM CD changer.

Just call them up and ask!

Brent L

3. Shayne Lebrun

What? Call and ask? That would be silly! ;-)

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Try calling Crutchfield. They will be able to tell you and also sell you any connectors that might be needed.

5. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

My guess is that Brent is right.

You could also purchase an FM modulator. You plug your aux item into it, and it broadcasts a short fm signal. You then "tune it in" on one of a couple customizable fm locations (like 89.1, etc).

Never used one myself, but hearing from people that use them you get a pretty good audio transfer, not noticable if you have stock components and get a good modulator (don't skimp and get a Roadmaster, Pyramid, etc). Get a quality component or you won't be happy.

No idea about actual prices, but you should be able to find something online in the 30-40 range, but shop around. I could be off.

6. Shayne Lebrun

That's actually a pretty good idea, Andy.
    I'm actually considering making sure that my next vehicle, if it doesn't have easily accessable audio jacks, has a cassette player as well as a CD player, so I can just use one of the old 'portable CD player to cassette!' adaptors; they work well enough for my needs.
    You see, I download audio books from http://www.audible.com and listen to them on my Rio 500 (they're encrypted, and often several hours long, so I don't feel like schlumping them down to CD.) Great for those long commutes.