What's new

Facial and Body cleaning (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Basically what I would like to know is what are hte best products, and when/how to use them. I've read some magazines on this but I can't help but feel their opinions are pushed by advertisers. I'm 22 years old, still has some acne which I would love to get ride of. I know this is a big topic, but if I get get some opinions on what you guys use, or even perhaps an American Psycho style lay out of what and when that would be amazing. Summer time is a coming, figure it's time I get my act together on this part.
Thanks for the help

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I just turned 23 and like you I have some acne. I have used the following products for about a year now and I have had some great sucess with them.

Clean & Clear: Blackhead Clearing Scrub
Clean & Clear: Continuous Control Acne Cleanser

The Blackhead uses Salicylic Acid Medication and the Cleanser uses Benzoyl Peroxide Medication.

I use the Blackhead first and then the Cleanser.

They don't totally get rid of it but they keep it to a level where I'm not really distracted by it. I use them in the morning when I shower and in the evening when I shower(if I remember too that is).

Hope this helps.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
What about the facial mask stuff? Is it worth it? Also, I heard that if you turn the water from warm to cold in the shower it opens pores up.
Do body scurbs help out as well. I am totally willing to go the extra mile on this, so please, mention everything and anything.
Thank you

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I'd recommend talking to a dermatologist to see what's best for you. As for myself, I'm using a few prescribed antibiotics (Monodox, Benzaclyn, something else I forgot). From experience, I can tell you that the Proactiv stuff is no different than other more affordable acne fighting medicines you'd find in they skin care aisle at a convenience store considering they have the same major ingredients like Joe mentioned. I had a girlfriend who used the facial mask stuff and salt scrubs from Bath and Body Works I believe, and she had awesome facial complexion. Aside from using a face cloth in the mornings, once or twice a week I'd recommend using a scrub (I use St. Ive's Apricot Scrub) to help clean the dirt out of your pores, or just to help with oily skin in general if daily washing isn't doing enough. If you have any body acne though, like I said before, you could always talk to a dermatologist. Hope this helps!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
24 and acne free for about 2 years. I just wash my face morning & night. Nothing fancy at all; shower in the morning with regular body soap, and at night hand soap to clean the face. If I don't clean it at night I'll get a pimples again, or it'll just feel dirty.

Stopped using the oxyclean type products around 21.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I did two rounds of Accutane and that cleared up most of my zit problems. I get 1-3 on a regular basis still but that's livable. I exfoliate once a week with an Aramis gel and I use Cetaphil (glycerine-based) everyday to moisturize and clean. I also use an Aramis moisteurizer for really dry areas... Very happy with the Aramis brand.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help on the ACne, Is there any type of special ace cloths you use or just a regular cloth? I would like to avoid the prescribed stuff. Also, basically what I'm looking for is nice and smooth skin everywhere. Not just for ACne sake, so like baby smooth skin :b . Any recommendations for body soaps? I think I will try out some of this mask stuff, perhaps hit the body shop and see what's going on there. I feel the work I do now will show in the years to come, or at least I hope. Thanks for the replies.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
My dermatologist has always recommended just using Dove soap as far as soap is concerned. Also, I use Nivea Pre-Shave scrub which has been great for my face.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend an appointment with a dermatologist as well. What works for one person doesn't for another. And never ever mess with your skin.

When I was in my twenties, I was recommended a certain glycerine-based soap. Stupidly, instead of testing my sensitivity to it first, I got into the shower and used it. Now which parts of the body do you wash most intensively with soap in the shower? Closely matches with the areas where you'd least like a severe skin allergic reaction, right? And guess what the new soap did to me ... :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I will recommend, again, a visit to a dermatologist.

The thing is, sometimes no matter what you may try, you'll have skin problems.

The skin reflects what is going on deep within the body. If you have a skin problem it's likely that something else internally is amiss. You can use scrubs and washes and exfoliants and whatever until you're blue in the face (no pun intended) but sometimes vitamins and adequate nutrition and even medical care are needed to rid yourself of problems.

For years I had skin problems. Not just acne, but little cysts, bumps, and a lot of roughness. Years later, I find out I have a major hormonal imbalance. Since controlling my condition, my skin has really cleared up. It's just an example, of course, but you may want to examine your health, diet, and exercise because they all play a huge role in the condition of your skin.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I agree with Leila, about your health and diet, etc...

Are you stressed a lot?
Do you drink enough water?
Do you keep your hands off your face? They can transmit dirt and oils too.
Wipe your face with a tissue or soft cloth a few times a day. You would be surprised to see how much dirt will be on the cloth.

I also heard that showering too frequently can cause one to break out. The theory was if you keep srubbing your skin and drying it out, your body produces more oils to try to keep up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks