Faces of Death

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JamesCB, Mar 12, 2004.

1. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I just picked up a complete 6 vhs tape set of this series at a flea market. The last time I saw these they were for rent at a local video store (that was back in 1988 or 89). Some of the stuff is definitely staged, most is not. Very graphic stuff, not for the weak.

One of the interesting footage was of butcher houses. The most diturbing was the Kosher method of killing the animals. How many Jews actually know what Hosher meat means? Not only is the animal ordained (probably not the right word) by a Rabi, but must also be cut by the same Rabi. The animal is cut with a very large knife (like a machette) across the neck and then hung by the back feet to bleed till dead. Pretty greusome stuff to witness, but I could eat a steak while wathing it.

Anyone else have these tapes? Anyone else demented enough to actaully watch these tapes?

James

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Actually, change that to "MOST of the stuff is definitely staged, SOME is not."

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

Staged or not, it's pretty graphic stuff that I'd never watch again. I usually don't care for gore/blood in movies, but I did not like this one. They took it that extra step that made it seem like it really is a snuff film you are watching.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have the first Faces of Death on DVD, my only complaint is it's overly compressed! I rented it on tape a few years before and couldn't watch all of it, but wanted to check it out again after I'd read that most of it was fake.
    The DVD has an alleged interview with the director, but his face is hidden and voice electronically obscured, so who knows if he really had anything to do with it!
    Definitely not for everyone, but I find it morbidly amusing- a cinematic urban legend.

5. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Never watched it but I did watch Snuff once. That was pretty gruesome.

When I part-timed at a video store in the 80s, some parents would allow their kids to watch those videos, renting it for them.

I just shook my ruefully.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I find Faces of Death morbidly fascinating but I don't really find myself wanting to by them. I think it has to do with the fact that I don't find them terribly rewatchable.

On Halloween night of my junior year of HS, a bunch of friends and I went to go see Faces of Death 4 at the local moviehouse. There was a group of drunk, college guys there to and they were laughing at everything until it came to the "puppy scene" (if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about). At that point, they completely shut up and just watched the movie in silence. I guess even in their drunken stupor, that scene still got to them.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

#4 was released in theaters? I saw that (or one of the sequels) on VHS a long time ago and remember parts of it being shot on video. The first one has changeover marks on it though so it looks like that was made for theatrical release- don't remember it playing anywhere near here though.

8. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Ive seen the FOD movies, and they never really bothered me...

The only thing Ive ever seen that really shook me up was the Bud Dwyer film. [​IMG]

9. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    After watching the chicken processing footage in FOD (where they used a sound effect when they cut off the head, and then immediately showed a kid eating a chicken leg, with the same sound effect), I didn't eat fried chicken for several years.

Anyone remember the conservation agent trying to lassoo the alligator. He is such a cocky p**ck, posing for the camera, "Where is this alleged alligator? Thank you for calling: We all laughed when the alligator pulled him off the boat and chomped him.

10. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Anyone who finds the slaughter of animals and the violent death of human beings on film entertaining, is someone I wouldn't want to hang out with.

11. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

What are these movies? Real snuff films? How old are they? What world do you guys live in where snuff films are displayed in theaters? Were people and/or animals REALLY murdured in these films?

Yeck, doesnt sound like much fun.

12. James T

James T Screenwriter

The movies started in the late 80s and mid 90s. For a time, they were believed to be real, but lots of people had their doubts about it. I think the evidence that brought doubt to people's mind is that when the actual "death scene" took place, the frame would move slightly so that the victim wasn't shown. It's usually just a split second, but you never really saw someone die. With that said, it is still a violent and disturbing movie. And yes, although it's been almost a decade since I saw it, I believe the animal scenes are real.

13. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

removed message; posted to wrong thread by mistake

14. Jon.M

Jon.M Stunt Coordinator

Saw it once. Don't need to see it again. Where's the entertainment in seeing a monkey clubbed to death (among other things)? Wasn't the marketing hook something like "Banned in 87 Countries!!" or something?

15. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

OMG! I did that too. In junior high my dad took me and about 15 of my friends to see it. During the puppy scene some drunk idiot at the back of the theater yelled out hot dogs and wouldn't let up so the manager had to throw him out him out but not before he puked on the three girls he brought with him . Did you get the certificate that stated that you sat through all of it? I still have mine somewhere.[​IMG]

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The first one's copyrighted 1979 I think.
    The monkey scene is pretty disturbing, but like most of the rest of the movie, it wasn't real. They were really eating cauliflour (which to me is about as gross as monkey brains!)

17. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

Here is a newspaper interview with John Allen Schwartz. He is the one who created the FOD series. It's a pretty good one. News article