What's new

Fable (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming that everyone is too busy playing this one now to post about it. Only had a chance to play for a few minutes last night, but I've already had to decide which way I wanted to lean with my character. This is a problem, because for every action, I want to see what happens if you just go the other way. I guess this means at least two passes through the game though-probably good first, and then super-evil bastard (like in KOTOR).

What do people think so far?

James T

Screenwriter
To be perfectly honest, I somehow expected more. I picked this up the same time I picked up the Sims 2, but I've been playing the Sims 2 more than Fable.

Ddi you find the little girl who was looking for her teddy bear? I found the bear, but when I went back to see the girl, she was gone.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I'm loving it. It isn't all Peter M promised, but it is a damn sight better than what is normal for RPGs. I'm thinking at least two passes through the game will be neccessary, not only for good/evil, but with so many way to take your char (thief, warrior, mage, archer, etc.) I don't think I can explore all the options in one game.

Any game that allows you to get drunk enough to throw up while plying drinks into a barmaid for possible sex must get a thumbs up from me.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Have you guys had any problems saving? I tried several times last night after completing the melee, will, and skill training, but when I restart it keeps going back to the cutscene where I enter the Hero's Guild and I have to re-do everything.

Am I missing the "save stations" or doing it incorrectly through the menu? Surely the game will allow me to save progress aside from the auto saves.

Any advice? Am I am an idiot?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

You are doing a "Hero Save" which means you are saving the stats for your hero etc. You need to do a "World Save" which will save the state of everything in the world etc. I'm not sure if its possible to do a world save in the first tutorial sections of the game but you will have the opportunity to do so once you are out on your own.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Haven't picked it up yet. My wife (!) reserved it for herself, but EBGames hasn't called us to let us know it's in yet.

However, I picked up my copy of Sims2 yesterday, so I'm a happy camper for the moment. ;)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am stopping by my local game store today to pick up my copy that I reserved and paid for 2 months ago! I can't wait. Anymore reviews or opinions about the game? I hope I have not overly anticipated this game and it ends up being a let down. I have read a couple of negative reviews but for the most part everyone seems pretty pleased.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Jeff - the early stuff is a bit boring, but it picks up right after you "graduate" from the hero's guild. It's a bit daunting at first, but after 5-6 hours it's one of the better RPGs I've ever played.

:emoji_thumbsup: Two tumbs up! :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I got a chance to put some time in last night, and I'm already impressed with it. The "Hero Save" is definitely an interesting idea, but I can see it being an easy/cheap way to gain renown/experience. If, for example, a particular quest gets you a boatload of experience/renown, couldn't you just do the quest, Hero save, and then repeat almost indefinitely?

I noticed that after I finished the first meelee training (and actually completed the bug killing quest) that my hero save didn't save that quest completion. It did save everything else though, which is definitely a good thing.

Only thing I need now is a good few hours to play this for. Looks like I have a plan for Saturday now...

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
So far, so...okay. I don't dislike the game, but I'm about 3 hours in and have yet to have any "Wow" experiences. However, I've also just graduated from the guild and get to experience the good stuff. I'm probably going down the path of light and virtue, developing my Skill attributes. I've always liked the bow and arrow.

I guess my preliminary "review" is a 7 out of 10. I will certainly keep playing, but I'm not as engrossed like I was with Zelda or KOTOR. Time will tella and I still have an open mind.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Thats why. The guild "tutorial" (ie the whole beginning)is a purely linear experience and does not represent what the game is all about. I think you'll see your perspective on the game change very soon.

I'll copy over a post I put on my forum:

14 hours in after last night. I now have a full set of plate armor and am working my up the ranks at the arena in Witchwood (some of the weather effects in the deep forest are fantastic looking). My character definitely leans towards the good side but he can be quite evil when he wants to be. I've been playing him a hero that can get terribly pissed off if the circumstances are right. My renown is very high and every time I walk into a town the crowds line up behind me and start cheering and calling my title out (which is Gladiator right now).

I walked into a small ring of children and noted some of the boys had my haircut! The all started hopping around me and saying "I want to be just like him!" or "He's amazing!". The reaction from the women is even better since I don't even have to flirt anymore. I walked by a lady in my hometown of Oakvale (where I now live and reside with my wife) and she proclaimed "He's the most gorgeous man I"ve ever seen". Mind you I didn't even give her a second look or use an expression on her. Its so damn neat that the game allows its NPC to react in suck ways and its even cooler to be so damn popular.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This is making me crazy! I want to play it so so bad. Here is my MAJOR dilemma. I picked up my copy yesterday and went home to play it. I decided to play a couple of games of NHL2K5 first. Well guess what happened. My XBOX locked up and now I can't get it to work! I posted a thread in the hardware section and just got off the phone with XBOX, it looks like I am going to have to get my XBOX repaired! So I am pretty upset right now, here I have a game that I have been waiting for, for a very long time and now cannot play it! Oh, by the way, I could have got a new XBOX if it would have broke 3 days ago! I have had my XBOX for 33 days!

Anyway, I will stop complaining, you guys enjoy Fable, I will be checking in here and there to see how you guys are enjoying it.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I got out of the Guild last night, but not too far. Does your behavior matter as much as in KOTOR? I "stole" a few things in the first town that I visited and noticed that I got some evil points. In KOTOR, this would have been quite distressing to ruin my perfect character, but it seems like the effects are less drastic in this game.

It's certainly getting better, I can't wait for this weekend to get some quality playing time in.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
You have to wade through the guild section, it's the tutorial, that's it.

Once through it, and out in the world, it picks up FAST.

I'm as evil as you can be, and currently labeled as an Assassin. Full Dark Leather armour, steel Katana and heavy focus on SKILL (forgot the stat name, but I am focusing on Dex and the one stat that ISN'T Accuracy, but the one that relates to stealth).

=)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying the game, but having a couple of problems with it.

-Is there an easy way to NOT target a particular character? I've had a hell of a time with the "protect" missions, where I'm attacking a group of monsters, and the people I'm trying to protect just getting in the way. That, or I'm targeting something, kill it, and the next attack goes to the protectee (earning evil points).

-I know you can assign items to the D-pad to use when you hold R, but what about in the normal, unshifted state? It seems to fill these in arbitrarily. Is this just supposed to be context sensitive? Seems to work OK, but just wondering.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Chris,

If you don't target with the left trigger, then your swings will hit the most likely target, which is alway NOT a friend. Just don't target!

The user interface is a bit frustrating. But way more frustrating is I can't figure out how to drink beer in the tavern. I want to throw up. Help!

Martin.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Martin, that makes a lot of sense-I'll have to give that a try.

Can't you just buy beer, and the use it as an item? I wonder if you can drink whole kegs...

Is there really any point in getting married? Basically, you have to buy a ring and a house, but other than a small dowry and the chance to have sex, is there really any point in the game? I think you get a little renown for it, but it seems like a pretty big investment. It's not like there's any challenge to it, so there really doesn't seem to be much of a point... Might have to play with this system a little more to figure out what actually happens with it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

When you treat your wife well and she gives you an Obsidian Great Sword or a pair of Bright Plate Boots as a gift, I think you'll find there is a point to being married and more importantly in keeping your wife happy.

Also later in the game you will marry a very important character that will garner a 15,000 gold dowry.

Marriage is not a key gameplay component by any means. You don't *HAVE* to get married, in fact you don't even need to take a second look at that aspect of Fable. However, it's there as an option for you. Its meant to further the "sandbox" elements of the game world. Just a little something for you play around with etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks