F1 Silly Season '02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kim, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Silly season, which is actually year round, goes into full throttle with the revelation that Helio is on the short list for the 2nd driver at Jaguar next year. Amazing thing is that Penske actually triggered this potential move. More info at the following link:
    rpm.com
    Which begs the question, what happens to Penske spot #2? Perhaps Hornish? And what will become of Gil?
    Looking forward to the '03 racing season, if for nothing other than to see whether CART dies, IRL complete its transmogrification into CART (just how many former CART drivers/teams are now running in IRL?), and whether F1 will just award the '03 constructors/1st place title to Ferrari without actually running the season. [​IMG]
    Think about it...14 out of 16 1st place finishes so far for Ferrari this year. Do you really think the competition will close in on Maranello next year?

2. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

YES[​IMG]

3. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Since Ferrari has had the luxury of testing their '03 improvements in race conditions for half the season, I'd say their chances for repeating the drivers/constructors sweep is excellent.

Rob

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Jaguar is saying that they have never considered Castroneves for next year. Remember he has not even tested for Jaguar, and there is no way that a F1 team, even Jag, would seriously consider a driver without testing them first.

Castroneves did test with Toyota, and the test reportedly went very well for him. Apparently Haas wants major concessions from Toyota to let daMatta out of his contract. Penske has always said that he would let Castroneves go if a F1 opportunity appeared a Castroneves has always said that his ultimte goal is a F1 seat.

If Haas continues to be un-reasonble Castroneves might have a shot at Toyota, but hte whole Jag thing seems to be wishful thinking on someone's part.

5. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I dunno, Charles. Normally, I'd agree and chalk it up to inane rumors, but this one seems to have an air of authenticity.

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Maybe Helio should stay with the IRL another season where he has a very good shot at a championship and wait for a better ride than Jag could provide in F1.

I'm an IRL fan, but it sure is starting to bug me that the IRL is becoming CART without the road courses. So much for the little guys. I love open wheel oval racing because you get the speed without the forgiveness that protective sheet metal gives for contact. And I always thought that CART was too closely in competition for what F1 was already doing. But now IRL is going to price out the small teams.

Is American OW getting better really? Still seems like a mess to me.

Anyway, it's interesting that we have this Dan Gurney push for an American F1 team (based off of Ford), but where is the money going to come from?

I have to admit though, that if they could do it it would transform the USGP. There are already some US flags at the track, but holy moly would there be a ton if a US team came together. Weak or not, people would be excited to cheer for them.

8. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

The IRL vs CART thing is as bad as religion & politics [​IMG]
    It is the nature of F1 than many of the mid pack teams have the potential to become good, but it is also the nature that it doesn't always happen. Ford, Honda & Renault have dominated in the past just as Ferrari, & Mercedes have in the recent past. With increasingly manufacturer-centric teams in F1 there's no reason that they will not do so again without the the help of McLaren & Williams. So a jump to Toyota or Jag now may well pay off in 2 or 3 years. If he waits for Ferrari to offer him a ride he may never get a chance in F1.
    Castroneves has always said that his goal was to be in F1, and if the stories about how well he did in his Toyota test are true I think he should go for it. From what I know he has more of chance at Toyota than Jag, and I'd say it would be a better choice, but who knows?

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

10. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    What really doesn't make sense to me is why Red Bull and Danny Sullivan are going after no-name American drivers. I understand they are planning for the future, but why not get an American driver who is already well-known until these youngsters are ready (probably at least 5 years)? Hell, bring Sam Hornish over. That would win some American fans.

I'd love it if both Castroneves and Sam Hornish went to F1! I realize Hornish will never happen because he has no road course experience. It certainly would take some steam out of all the IRL fans crowing over the CART defections.

Jeff

11. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

As ypou say no way with Hornish with no road racing experience, I thought he was going to race NASCAR trucks or something? I don't know much about him. Plenty of good road racers have adapted to ovals, but I can't think of anyone who has come from a primarily oval background and done well in road racing.

F3000 seems to be where the teams are looking for new talent these days. There are so many Brazilian drivers around because Brazilian sponsors are willing to develop young karters and support them for a few years in Europe to give them a chance to develop their skills. If Red Bull can identify young talent and save them from going to roundy-round racing there could be a an up-and-coming American driver in F1 in a few years.

12. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

13. Michael St. Clair

Hornish has raced a few road races and it ain't pretty.
    Latest CART/IRL rant:
    The new IRL spec has fuel lids on both sides.
    This is to accomodate any future road coarses that refuel on the right.
    The IRL is trying to become CART, because everything the IRL was founded on was not what the market wanted, and everything that CART was doing from a racing standpoint was absolutely right (very basic poor business decisions is what 'killed' them).
    The 'new' IRL. Foreign drivers, foreign engines, leased engines, skyrocketing budgets, foreign races, and road courses are coming soon (they already tried to get Cleveland a couple of years ago). Sound familiar?
    The IRL was never about trying to 'fix' open-wheel racing. It was only about Tony George wanting the whole pie.
    Well, he is getting close to eating the whole thing. Too bad he killed open-wheel racing in the USA as part of the process.
    The losers are the open-wheel race fans.
    The winner is Bill France.

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter