F1 Australian Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Michael St. Clair

Here we go!

Here are the results from provisional qualifying:

Code:
     1 BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1m26.372s 
     2 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes 1m26.551s 
     3 VILLENEUVE BAR Honda 1m26.832s 
     4 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1m27.103s 
     5 BUTTON BAR Honda 1m27.159s 
     6 COULTHARD McLaren Mercedes 1m27.242s 
     7 ALONSO Renault 1m27.255s 
     8 PANIS Toyota 1m27.352s 
     9 TRULLI Renault 1m27.411s 
     10 MONTOYA Williams BMW 1m27.450s 
     11 DA MATTA Toyota 1m27.478s 
     12 HEIDFELD Sauber Petronas 1m27.510s 
     13 FRENTZEN Sauber Petronas 1m27.563s 
     14 FISICHELLA Jordan Ford 1m27.633s 
     15 WEBBER Jaguar 1m27.675s 
     16 R.SCHUMACHER Williams BMW 1m28.266s 
     17 FIRMAN Jordan Ford 1m29.977s 
     18 VERSTAPPEN Minardi Cosworth 1m30.053s 
     19 PIZZONIA Jaguar 1m30.092s 
     20 WILSON Minardi Cosworth 1m30.479s

Remember, this does not determine grid position, but the reverse of this is the order in which they make their runs in tomorrow's session.

Look at Da Matta. Go Christiano!

Better pull it together Williams! Ralf ran wide but it looks like they have additional issues!

Could be interesting!

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Wow. it looks like the new qualifying really mixes things up. cool. Im a Montoya fan, but I like the more random qualifying. way to go Villenuve!

3. VinT

VinT Agent

yea those Honda cars were a big surprise.

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I'm surprised to see the BARs so far up the order too. The real intereesting part will be to see what happens this evening, who will run with low fuel and who won't...

5. Scott Diedrick

I think when you are talking about BAR you need to give the credit to David Richards. He came in last year and cleaned house. He got good engineers and designers in. One year later and BAR looks like a real F1 team. I am not saying they will win this year, or blow anyone away, but for the first time in their history they look like they are moving in the right direction. I guess this is what happens when you hire a racing guy with team management and design experience to run your F1 team instead of an ex ski instructor.

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Whats the deal with the Minardis? They are very slow (even for them) and then neither car completes the hot lap. Weird.

ahh... They may well not have to go to parc fermé and therefore have extra time to work on the car and can react to the weather/track conditions. Its not like they weren't going to start from the back anyway.

7. Michael St. Clair

Well, how about that. At first I was sure Raikkonen would win it, then Schumacher, then Montoya....talk about a merry go round.

Many mistakes were made today; I'd say mistakes affected the outcome far more than new regulations.

A fun race, and it is obvious that the strongest teams are still the strongest under the new rules. But we'll have to watch the mid-pack for a few races to see how they sort out.

It was interesting to read today that Barrichello and his guys had worked out a better setup for qualifying, then Schumacher copied it. Nothing wrong with that, it just seems in the past the Schumacher's guys come up with the best.

8. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

That was a GREAT race, extremely entertaining. I agree that it doesn't really herald anything for the rest of the season though, it was just an odd combination of circumstances.

Why did Montoya have to spin? If he'd held on he would have won... oh well, next time. Have to love his comments at the press conference though... "I got screwed twice", "Shit happens!" You just know his publicist fainted when he said that [​IMG]

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I got the impression that Schumi's guys hadn't completed set-up yet, then because of his crash they ran out of time and just copied Ruben's data and ran with it. interesting to see that even with non-personalised data (albeit more or less the same car) Schumi could pull off pole.

as for the race, well, I wonder to what extent Schumi maintaining fourth was due to him eking out maximum performance out of a damaged car, or Montoya slowing down to make things more difficult for Kimi?

and in some ways it's a shame that a minor infraction cost Kimi his first win; perhaps it's some comfort that at least the win went to his teammate?

10. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

Wow, "great race" and "fun race"; who'da thunk we'd ever see those phrases in a Formula 1 thread?

The new qualifying regs seemed to have their intended effect, mixing up the field so cars would actually have to PASS each other to get to the front. I think we saw more passing in this single race than we saw all of last season!

11. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Yes a very entertaining race. I'm disappointed for Kimi and Montoya though. Kimi defiantly paid MS back for Magny Cours last year. It was ironic that the reigning CART champ brought out one of the 2 safety cars (hopefully there will be no more than 2 more for the rest of the season). Pity about Montoya screwing himself with that spin. You don't get to be World Champion by making mistakes like that Juan!

We saw more action the usual and yes some of that was because there was more to see, but I put part of that down to a great job by the Aussie director. Often we miss a lot of what is going on because the local director is focusing on MS way out in the lead, or the local boy tooling around at the back.

12. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Welcome back F1, I hardly recognize ya!

Provisional qualifying, qualifying with no one else on the track, eight points-paying positions instead of six...whew!! I'm not sure if any of these changes make for a better product, but it sure is jarring for a long time F1 fan like me who didn't know these changes were in the works until I tuned into Speedvision Thursday evening.

Rob

13. VinT

VinT Agent

Yea that was a great race. Maybe now more Americans will be interested in F1. Its pretty sad that the premere auto racing here is NASCAR.