F1 2001 for XBOX is not very good.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Peake, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I bought it last week, there were very few reviews available so I took a chance.

The graphics are the worst I have seen on XBox. Everything looks fuzzy. It almost looks like some extreme (and useless) form of anti-aliasing is being used on the cars, as they have 'fuzzy' edges.

As far as I can tell, the controller cannot be configured. You have 2 options for controller setup, and no option to customize.

I found controlling the cars to be quite difficult, it will take some time to get used to the controller setup and the feel of this game. I dont think the control is bad, it is just difficult because of the controller setup that I have yet to adjust to. One thing that bothers me is the large dead zone of the ananlog pad. It seems you have to really push it to one side a long way to get any response from your car. I much prefer tight steering.

The framerate is also very bad. Definitley not 60FPS as the gamespot preview of the game suggests. I would estimate the average FPS to be about 30, with plenty of time spent in the 20's. It just feels choppy, which really ruins the sense of speed.

With this and Evo 2, I have successfully found a couple of XBOX duds! Anyone wanna trade?!

Jeff Peake

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Not after that review! [​IMG]
    Sorry you got a dud.

3. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Man, I thought I did bad with Mad Dash racing! Luckily for me the store I bought it from took it back. Why don't you at least try and see if they'll take it back from you?
    Better than living with that empty feeling and a hole in your pocket IMO.
    GL!
    [​IMG]

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah so Far other than Halo and DOA3 there's not much reason

to pick up an Xbox, most of the games that have come for it from PS2 ports really look like ports or worse. Maybe this situation will change with Unreal Championship we'll see

6. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I just received this game yesterday and have to disagree. While the game does have a few features I don't care for, the game is more than playable. The frame rate hovers between 25 and 30 fps. I would rate it better than the PS2 version. There is nothing wrong with the controls. F1 games in general have a very specific audience. You won't usually find a title like this in the average gamers collection. I would go so far to say that you probably wouldn't find it in the average racefans collection. Games like this require a large investment in time to learn all the intricacies of car setup and the tracks. So, stay away if thats not your bag.

7. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

8. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Rick,
    That message was from over 3 months ago. [​IMG] PGR & Munch were available then, though.
    -Dan B