What's new

F.W. Murnau / Frank Borzage box set from Fox (1 Viewer)

Richard M S

Screenwriter
When I look at the Fox Website under "For Christmas 2008" it says "Chico- Heaven- Diane"

I gather Heaven is Seventh Heaven but what does the rest mean?

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
From ClassicFlix:

I take it that this only a small portion of the films that will be included?

ted:r

Second Unit

Well, that's $24.00 a film if that's the final list. Do I wish it were cheaper? Yes. But realistically, this box isn't going to sell by the boatloads. Do I think it will sell twice as many items if it were half the price? I doubt it.

We would be paying collector's prices for collector's films. I'm just happy these films are being released at all. That's the key for me.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I was hoping his other Will Rogers film, Young As You Feel, would be included also.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
If I could swing the $240--I would, but since the only item that I feel I HAVE TO HAVE is Borzage's "Liliom," (since I've had Murnau's "Sunrise" for years now) I'll probably make other arrangements. If it were half the price, I'd bite the bullet--but my debt is already well into the irresponsible mode. Pity.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if Fox is making a misstep here. This box was always going to have a niche audience, but even rabid hardcore cinephiles are having trouble justifying the price tag. If you have unlimited disposable income, it's one thing, but with so few films (and only a handful of certifiable classics among them), I can't imagine paying three figures for this - no matter how nice the packaging. Is this really going to be the only way to get a hold of these films?

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I just got an Amazon.com gift certificate for my birthday which I will use to partially offset the cost of this set, which I really want.

I don't mind paying more for "collector's editions" of films that the vast majority of DVD buyers will never buy, but damn that's a high price!!

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
Why do they mix films from two different directors in one big box set instead of releasing two separate box sets for Borzage and Murnau ?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps like with the Ford At Fox set they will have mini or sub sets like the Ford At Fox silents and the Essential Ford At Fox.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator

It seems like they're desperately trying to put together another box like FORD AT FOX so they can slap a $240 price tag on it. The only problem is that, even by combining the filmmakers you're not getting anywhere near as many films. Maybe after this box comes out they will put out individual sets for the average DVD buyer.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Remember the IMMENSE difference in quality between Ford's Prisoner Of Shark Island on the Masters Of Cinema and Ford At Fox sets??

If that was any indicator than I'm sure many more people including those that have posted otherwise in this thread will be all over the double-dip titles!

PS - Is there art work or a sneak peek at the set anywhere online yet?

Charles H

Screenwriter
Movies Unlimited is listiong AFTER TOMORROW and YOUNG AMERICA as part of the set. That makes 12 films plus the documentary. I'd like to see DOCTORS' WIVES and YOUNG AS YOU FEEL added.

Second Unit

If you can find one in twenty average DVD buyers that have even HEARD of Borzage or Murnau, I'll eat my proverbial hat.

The average DVD buyer wouldn't purchase this set if it were $1.98 and came with trading stamps. I wish that weren't so, but its hard for me to believe otherwise.

The important thing to me is that its being released, that those of us who have heard of Borzage and Murnau will have an opportunity to buy their films.

This is a box for connoisseurs. For those of us who love films and film history. It's not meant for the mass populace. Its meant for us.

I don't think $25 (or the $17) price per film is too high a price to pay for the privilege. Especially those (like me) who buy Criterions. And for those who have double and triple dipped on films.

If one wishes to boycott this Box simply because of price and because they think that Fox will price future offering cheaper, I would venture to say they will be sorely disappointed. Because if the intended audience doesn't buy this box, then I'm sure Fox's reaction will to be not to offer these films in the future. Too me, that is too high a price to pay.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator

I'm not boycotting out of any moral outrage; like most people, I have a limited income and dropping $170 on this DVD boxed set isn't worth it. I love film, I'm a fan of Murnau and Borzage, but I've got copies of some of these films already and others I can rent. I could justify buying the Ford set when it was available on B&N for $90, but Fox has overpriced this set, in my opinion - far fewer films than Ford at Fox for nearly the same price.

I appreciate your enthusiasm to see these great films, but if the set cost $500, would you still be excited about the "opportunity" to buy it? Your notion that the box is for "connoisseurs" is correct, but that's also exactly the kind of marketing logic used by companies to get consumers to overpay for something. ("Be part of an elite group! Only real cinephiles love film so much that they're willing to buy this!") etc. Arguing that this box is a good deal when you consider triple-dips is also pretty weak -- just because they screw me with triple-dips, that means it's OK when they gouge me with an overpriced box set?

Fox certainly has a right to charge whatever they want, and they've obviously determined that these films will have very limited appeal (sadly), hence the high price. But remember, Fox isn't releasing this set out of altruism - it's designed as a big-ticket item to maximize profits. If you can afford it and are excited to buy it, that's cool, but someone can also pass up the "opportunity" to give Fox their money without worrying that he or she is inhibiting the release of any more classic films from the studio. Fox knows the value of its library, and they likely understand that the Murnau/Borzage set will sell less than the Ford set -- again, probably why it's more expensive.

Second Unit
Of course, Fox isn't a charity. And of course, one shouldn't view this as blackmail, or something of the sort ("You don't buy Borzage/Murnau, you don't get Kazan! Ha!") My two basic points are: 1) Boycotting this mainly because one thinks Fox will realize the Error of Its Ways, price-wise, is an unreasonable belief, and 2) it is reasonable to expect more obscure films (which probably need a lot more restoration work also) to cost more than the average run of the mill film. And I still hold to those beliefs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks