What's new

F-Secure Anti-Virus & Sygate Firewall: Can they co-exist? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking of getting away from Norton's AV mainly because of the product activation & all the ill news surrounding it recently. I'm thinking about buying F-Secure's 2004 AV app. The installation instruction s for F-Secure's 2004 AV app say to uninstall any 3rd party Firewall software. I use Sygate's PersonaL Firewall Pro & really like it. Now my main question is, can I reinstall the Sygate Firewall? The .pdf document from F-secure is silent on this point. F-secure also sells a firewall product. What really concerns me is the reference to "3rd party firewall software". Is this installation requirement pushing me toward using only F-secure's Firewall? I'd prefer to make my own decisions about which products to buy & not be "pushed" in to buying only one company's products because they have perhaps designed them to only work with each other & no outside apps. Thanks for your kind help & prompt reply. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking of getting away from Norton's AV mainly because of the product activation & all the ill news surrounding it recently. I'm thinking about buying F-Secure's 2004 AV app. The installation instruction s for F-Secure's 2004 AV app say to uninstall any 3rd party Firewall software. I use Sygate's PersonaL Firewall Pro & really like it. Now my main question is, can I reinstall the Sygate Firewall? The .pdf document from F-secure is silent on this point. F-secure also sells a firewall product. What really concerns me is the reference to "3rd party firewall software". Is this installation requirement pushing me toward using only F-secure's Firewall? I'd prefer to make my own decisions about which products to buy & not be "pushed" in to buying only one company's products because they have perhaps designed them to only work with each other & no outside apps. Thanks for your kind help & prompt reply. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

You could try out AVG Anti-Virus and Kerio Personal Firewall. They come in a bundle at a reduced price so you know there mustn't be a inoperability problem.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Both BitDefender and Panda Titanium consistantly come out on top in terms of viruses dectection. I've tried F-Secure at work and didn't like it at all. AVG is free, but butt-ugly and I'm not sure about it's detection abilities.

I use BitDefender myself because it's a small, light, inexpensive app that does the job well and isn't bloated like Symantec. The do an intergrated firewall/AV/content filtering product which is a bit more expensive but still cheaper than everyone else. I still use ZoneAlarm myself.

You're best best for proection though is a hardware router/firewall.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Well so much for F-Secure AV playing nice with my 3rd party Firewall software from Sygate!!!!!

Per instructions I uninstalled Norton AV & the Sygate Firewall & installed F-Secure AV. Before it had finished updating the virus info an error message popped up saying that the F-Secure AV .exe file had generated errors & needed to be shut down. I clicked the message off & waited for the update to end. I then closed the F-Secure AV. I next went to re-install my Sygate Firewall. Well all hell broke loose!!! My computer went into STOP mode with a Kernal Mode Trap error. When I tried to reboot after the memory dump, the computer went into an endless reboot cycle. I went to safe mode & uninstalled whatever elements of the Sygate software that had managed to get installed. That didn't help as the computer still suffered from the endless rebooting. Back into Safe mode to unistall the F-Secure AV. Finally the computer booted properly.

Looks like I'm stuck without a software firewall as I don't wish to bring my computer its kness again. I can't afford to buy another firewall right now & I don't like being pushed by F-Secure in the direction of buying their firewall.

I received this email from F-Secure after I inquired of them about installation requirements involving Firewalls:

Now I understand why trying to re-install my Sygate software crashed the computer. It is "NICE" of F-Secure to "DESIGN" their software so that other Firewall software will not work with it. I know that their installation .pdf document says to uninstall other AV & FW software, but more importantly it is silent on the re-installation of said software. This is a serious problem with their instructions. As said before I don't like being pushed by F-Secure in the direction of buying their firewall. Hey it turns out that they are big hearted! I'm allowed to use Zone Alarm, but only with a patch. I'm not going to hold my breath & believe that this same patch will allow me to use Sygate's Firewall. Frankly, I'd be **** surprised if it works! An alternative is to not use a software Firewall & rely on my Linksys Router to block ALL bad incoming threats. Or I can return to the use of Norton products, which do work with my Firewall software of choice & just put up with the product activation ****.

I've just downloaded the Kaspersky’s AV V5 trial & documentation .pdf. I've emailed the company that actually sells the F-Secure software & inquired about the procedure to obtain a refund. I shall see what I shall see with the KAV software. Hopefully it won't bring down my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks