What's new

F.R.I.E.N.D.S movie in the works? (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I would love to see this. Have all the seasons on DVD. I say go all the way and shot it in 2.35:1 ratio!

It would be interesting to see if it will work in a movie format. I think it would be quite difficult. The fake looking sets of the series helps them a lot and it also has a laugh track.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
This seems to come up again and again. I remember once a couple of years ago it was "going to be R-rated with nudity and lots of adult content."

I highly doubt there's anything at all to that article. Still, I'd go see it.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Yes I also heard this before but the recent success of Sex And The City makes it quite possible. Friends is a lot better known and is not only for women (well almost ;) )! They potentially have a larger audience.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Like Sam, I have all 10 seasons on dvd, it's my all-time favorite TV show. I sure hope this happens.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale

:)

Like others had stated this would be far harder to translate to the big screen than Sex in the City was because Friends was a sitcom complete with a studio audience laugh track which both gives the show a certain feeling and of course alters actors performances.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok, just me being grouchy, but that doesn't work in regular print.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
That's because they're bullet-points, or "middle dots". In print, it should look like this:

F·R·I·E·N·D·S

I was a backseat fan of the series and haven't even come close to seeing 50% of all the episodes, although I did enjoy it. It seems like a no-brainer for a studio head to see the success of "Sex and the City: The Movie" and start looking into the archives to TV-series of yesteryear for an similar shot of box office mojo. F·R·I·E·N·D·S would certainly be one of them, although I do agree that without the soundstage sets and live studio audience (I don't think they used a laugh track) it would be a different animal than the series. It would be like adapting Cheers or Seinfeld for the big screen. It probably won't work.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD

Oh, Seinfeld I don't know. They did go out and on real locations so we are more used to it and it did work. However Friends had always the indoor look. I mean even their street scenes.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Oh yes, they're in their late 30's/early 40's... They're practically walking corpses!

Sheesh.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Sex and the City probably works as a movie because the show was filmed the same way. How would a friends movie work? Would they still use the same set peices, then we would feel like we were watching a really long episode, and we have that already on TBS every night. Interesting regardless

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Friends will work perfectly well if the writing team can get away from the seemingly set in concrete idea that everyone else is as fascinated in the Ross-Rachel relationship as they seem to be and get the writing back to the taut lean standards of the first couple of series. If it descends into the mawkish drivel of the final few series, then they needn't bother. And I speak as one who has all ten series on disc as well. Actually, what is it about long running series that producers seem to latch on to aspects that nobody else likes much (or even hates), but they shove down our throats with increasing frequency? I'm thinking of things like 'Homer has a zany idea involving a guest star' plot that now seems to be the staple of The Simpsons or Wesley's increasing presence in the bulk of Star Trek TNG.

Arild

Supporting Actor
They moved out of the apartment in the final episode, so they wouldn't really need to. Central Perk would probably have to make an appearance, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDDASD
Recent bookmarks