F.C.C to fine CBS 3.6 million dollars for "graphic teenage orgy" on "Without a Trace&

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Ryan L. Bisasky, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

2. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I heard them talking about this on the radio this morning, and a bunch of people called in and hadn't even thought about it at all until they heard this news.

3. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Shit, FCC should lighten the fuck up.

I hadn't seen the show in question but shouldn't "teenage boys and girls participating in a sexual orgy" be a good thing? [​IMG]

4. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

The link isn't working at the moment. What was actually shown on TV that they considered so offensive?

5. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Also what the PTC wrote is incredibly infuriating:

[​IMG] Yes your whole website is EXTREMELY offensive to me. Fuckers. Censorship is death.

6. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

The clip is pretty racy, but it seems like this website thinks children gain super strength, over power their parents, and turn the TV on to watch hot sex and cursing during primetime.

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

According to the IMDB:
    "During each episode, a 15-second presentation appears, asking the public for help in finding real-life missing persons. The FBI provides a picture and descriptive information about the missing person to be displayed with a voice-over message recorded by one of the series stars."

So, will the FBI be fined for their participation in the program?
    Is it relevant that "bras and panties" expose no more flesh that "bathing suits"?
    When no "naughty bits" are exposed aren't the offended observers just letting their imaginations and frustrations get the best of them?
    Is my government (meaning ME) trying to embarrass me to death?

8. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

My guess is that most of the complaints stemmed not from actual viewers of the show, but by internet users goaded into making a complaint,

9. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

When I first heard about this, I thought how funny it would be if CBS reran the episode. Little did I know that that's exactly what they did.

That's what is really wrong with them with telling people to file a complaint over a show that they didn't see. It's one thing if you saw that episode, were offended and filed a complaint. However, what they're asking for is for people to lie and file a complaint that should amount to fraud. How is lying to this government agency any different from lying to another government agency? I'm pretty sure if I told people to make things up on their taxes (and they did it) that the IRS would have some issues with me. [​IMG]

People wonder why there's so much crap on TV, alot of it is because many talented people have given up on broadcast TV (and its restrictions) and gone to cable networks. I can't blame them.

11. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

I am amazed that you can show graphic closeups of a bullet going through flesh on csi, and characters throwing up on 24, but a little sex scene is consitered "evil"

12. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Look how smart they are, they found a loophole. Pat-pat. Now go do something useful for a change, you Nazis.

13. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Oh my god - I was so offended and disgusted by that clip that I could barely pleasure myself.

*puts on pants and leaves thread*

14. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I think we should lobby the PTC to provide HDTV clips. After all, a blurry spot of NTSC pink may satisfactorily resolve itself into an ATSC nipple. Moreover, if one utterance of the word fuck in ntsc stereo is so effective at explicitly reminding one of sex, just think about what the same word is capable of doing if it is uttered in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. How can middle america monitor the visually and sonically superior signal that's currently polluting America's airwaves, unless the full 19.2 MB/s bitstream is placed online for downloading and analysis?

15. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'm going to write an email to the FCC and complain that they're making it far to easy for anyone with an AOL (You know they all use AOL, oh yes you do) account to write to the FCC and complain.

16. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I read somewhere, awhile back (wish I could be more specific), that of the thousands of snail-mail complaint letters written to the FCC every year, the vast majority are pre-written form letters from "Watchdog groups". Fewer than 100 were actually written by a consumer.

The complaint link in the above PTC link also fills out the specifics of the complaint form.

It makes you wonder how many consumers actually have a problem with this. There was no actual nudity or language in the scene. The suggestion that teens have sex (gasp) seems to be at issue. Since there was no actual offensive video or audio content, I wonder if a mere description of the scene would be considered "offensive." Since obscenity is defined by community standards, and so few people are incited to actually write their own complaint, I would submit that this isn't legally "obscene".

While I understand the airwaves "belong to the public" (but are only controllable if you have $100,000,000 to purchase access to them... but that's another story), it seems to me that without actual obscene visuals or audio (not the mere suggestion of such), free speech should trump this "obscenity".

It's the government's limitation of this free speech that I find obscene, and I hope CBS takes this to the highest court.

If you're a parent and you don't want your kids watching this stuff, do your job and be a parent. Don't tell me what I can or can't watch... I'm an adult.

-Scott

17. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

quote from the CNN.com article:

The commission dismissed complaints against a number of shows, including "The Oprah Winfrey Show," "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons."

So Stern get fined ..while Oprah gets a pass...
    Guess its another case of selective enforcement.

18. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The slogan of the so-called "Parents Television Council" is "Because our children are watching".

I submit that if they were really being parents, they would make sure their children are NOT watching a clearly adult-oriented show like "Without A Trace".

This group should really be named the "Lazy Asses Who Use The Television As A Babysitter Council".

I also have to wonder how this group can get away with re-distributing this video clip, which is surely the copyrighted property of CBS. Perhaps CBS should sue these fools for, oh, let's say 3.6 million??? [​IMG]

19. Daniel DeLawter

Daniel DeLawter Stunt Coordinator

The clip is racy, I guess - but it's so poorly filmed I don't think a 6 year old would believe the actors are actually copulating.

20. WillG

WillG Producer

I think the real question that needs to be addressed is: Where were these graphic teenage orgies when I was growing up?