What's new

F.B.I. from WBA (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
So far we do not have any information on any WA pressed title running out of pressed discs so I wouldn't worry. People panicked on Maverick Season 3 and bought it immediately. I just bought mine on sale and got pressed discs. I bought FBI Season 3 and Season 4 during their december sale and got pressed discs on both.
WaveCrest said:
Regarding silver-sided (pressed) discs, have the Warner Archive reduced the amount of initial copies of The FBI season sets which have silver-sided discs, since the fifth season was released?

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm wondering how many pressed discs are made for these - IIRC, someone said 2500. However, I find it hard to believe that Maverick S3 and S4 are still on the replicated disc list. Surely Maverick would sell more units after this amount of time than 2500.
I bought Maverick S3 and S4 right after they came out, while WB was running sales, because I wanted to be sure to get pressed discs. I will probably do that for Season 5 just to be sure I get pressed discs.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
ChrisALM said:
I'm wondering how many pressed discs are made for these - IIRC, someone said 2500. However, I find it hard to believe that Maverick S3 and S4 are still on the replicated disc list. Surely Maverick would sell more units after this amount of time than 2500.
I bought Maverick S3 and S4 right after they came out, while WB was running sales, because I wanted to be sure to get pressed discs. I will probably do that for Season 5 just to be sure I get pressed discs.
Why should Maverick sell more than 2500 copies? It's not available in stores, only through the web. And if Twilight Time can't sell 3000 copies of something like "As Good As It Gets" then it's obvious that online retailing through exclusive sites like the Warner Archive and ScreenArchives.com has its limitations.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Got my set today from Amazon, not pressed unfortunately. The black plastic DVD covers would seem to indicate sets not pressed, the see-through covers are pressed (?).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Amazon does not carry the pressed discs for someone reason, maybe because they already have their own mod service. The WA sets always come in the clear white cases. DVD Planet and ImportCD's usually have the pressed discs.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Rob_Ray said:
Why should Maverick sell more than 2500 copies? It's not available in stores, only through the web. And if Twilight Time can't sell 3000 copies of something like "As Good As It Gets" then it's obvious that online retailing through exclusive sites like the Warner Archive and ScreenArchives.com has its limitations.
The first two seasons of Maverick were general releases, so the releases of those seasons and their availability should have been widely known. Season 3 and 4 could have easily been anticipated given the earlier releases. These seasons were also not only available at the WB Shop. I don't really have any idea the number of places they became available, but I seem to remember seeing them listed at online sites, such as importscds and Deep Discount, so it was not only available at one exclusive website.
I believe you are correct about these releases not being in stores.
I'm not familiar with Twilight Time. At any rate, it seems to me that a show such as Maverick would be able to generate higher sales levels.
Apparently, DVD sales levels are lower than I thought.

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I got my set today as well! (my Kildare order, which was one week earlier is still not here!). I too will dive into it tonight. I was killing time waiting for the package revisiting some earlier episodes, in particular two that feature an unknown Harrison Ford in S4 and S5. In the former, he actually gets beaten up and left for dead by Russell Johnson. Where else can you see the Professor beating up Indiana Jones???? :) (one of the things I love about watching vintage TV where you can see people from disparate eras touching in this surreal fashion).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
First couple of episodes in and I notice how they dropped the teaser scene format in favor of a pre-credits trailer. This was the 1972-73 season and I've noticed before it was also the first year "Hawaii Five-O" and "Mannix" also abandoned pre-credit teaser sequences. Was there some across-the-board mandate to stop having programs begin this way?

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
That is a good question Jack! I think it must have been some decision by the networks to do this. Cannon also quit having the teaser starting with the 1972-1973 2nd Season of Cannon. Most of the hour drama shows of the 1960's through the 1971-1972 TV Season that I can think of had the opening teasers. I don't think it is just coincidence that seemingly all shows stopped the opening teasers after the 1971-1972 Season. The networks must have changed this! Here is a question for all forum members:

Name any show starting with the 1972-1973 Season or later that had opening teasers such as was the case through the 1971-1972 TV Season. Mannix- NO Hawaii Five O - NO Cannon- NO The FBI - NO I can't think of any? How about it forum members? Thanks!

GOD BLESS

ROBERT
Jack P said:
First couple of episodes in and I notice how they dropped the teaser scene format in favor of a pre-credits trailer. This was the 1972-73 season and I've noticed before it was also the first year "Hawaii Five-O" and "Mannix" also abandoned pre-credit teaser sequences. Was there some across-the-board mandate to stop having programs begin this way?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Good question. Banacek had them, although you might not count it because the NBC Mystery Movie intro played before even the teaser started. I'll keep thinking, though. (Shows in the '80s and beyond had them again, but I'll concentrate on the few years after 1972.)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Are we just talking about dramas? Comedies like The Odd Couple and Barney Miller always had them.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, let's stick to just the hour long dramas.

If there was a rule it obviously didn't last since obviously shows from later decades have had them. I'm thinking more from this point, 72 to the end of the decade since after this point the next earliest drama I can think of with a pre-credits sequence I can think of is "Hill Street Blues" with the Roll Call (who knows, maybe they were the ones to break the trend!)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nero Wolfe premiered at the same time as Hill Street and also had teasers. Maybe NBC was the maverick network that January?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Still thinking, but exceptions or not, the trend definitely seems to have changed after 1972. It's an interesting contrast to the current situation, in which the networks strongly discourage opening credit sequences at all, preferring the shows to get started immediately.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
There was a move afoot at that time in history to attempt to cut down on violence on television. Some people were attempting to make the case that violence on TV was leading to violence in real life. It was stated that pre-credits teasers were particularly violent, often setting up a murder or crime in the first couple minutes of a show, allegedly before Mom or Dad had a chance to get over to the TV and switch the station. (Remotes were not yet ubiquitous.)

As a result, the networks did a self-policing job of getting their program suppliers to place credits or something less violent at the top of the show. It affected all of the crime dramas like MANNIX, CANNON, and THE F.B.I.

Harry

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Harry O had opening teasers during much of its 1974-76 run.

John

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Greg Chenoweth said:
Well, ELLERY QUEEN had a teaser before the opening credits.
No, that wouldn't count because that was just another variant of a trailer/preview than an episode teaser with the only difference being the trailer narrator would identify who the murder victim was going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks