What's new

"Eyes Wide Shut" unaltered to come to US (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Of all Kubrick's films, this is the one where probably the most deleted material exists simply because Kubrick didn't live to dispose of it.
That said, I think it's highly unlikely that his estate would sanction the release of any of that material, as Kubrick had a pretty strict policy of not doing that. Given his perfectionist tendencies, it's not hard to understand why.

Still, this would be wonderful as a Special Edition.
There was a pretty good doc made by C4 at the time of release called THE LAST MOVIE which was moving and illuminating.
A cast and crew commentary, discussing Kubrick's work methods, would be fantastic. And a secondary commentary by a film scholar (or, even better, someone like Scorsese) would be particularly interesting on this most difficult and elusive of Kubrick's films.

A package like that would be fantastic. I hold out virtually no hope of it happening but stranger things have happened.

MatS

Screenwriter
maybe they will issue this version of EWS as only available as part of the re-remastered Stanley Kubrick boxset they undoubtedly are planning

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I have the Japanese unedited version. Has extras I believe, very good transfer and was pretty cheap at CDJapan.

:) D

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Perhaps, but I doubt his estate has any legal say in the matter. To my knowledge, Warner holds exclusive rights to all his films from "2001" on. I believe their releasing his films open matte was out of respect to his estate... they were not required to do so.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

This was done in the UK only, since the Hindu community there was offended by the use of the Bhagavad Gita.

As for widescreen, I remember seeing Barry Lyndon on Discovery HD in widescreen. Who knows, perhaps EWS (as well as other Kubrick films) will be released WS as well.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
Some of Kubrick's films have been released widescreen. Looking at my Stanley Kubrick Collection (any words in quotation marks appear that way on the DVD case):

Lolita -- "matted" widescreen
Dr. Strangelove -- 1.33:1
2001 -- "letterbox" widescreen
A Clockwork Orange -- "matted" widescreen
Barry Lyndon -- "matted" widescreen
The Shining -- This feature is presented in the full aspect ratio of the original camera negative, as Stanley Kubrick intended.
Full Metal Jacket -- Standard version. This film has been modified as follows from its original version: It has been formatted to fit your screen.
Eyes Wide Shut -- This feature is presented in the full aspect ratio of the original camera negative, as Stanley Kubrick intended.

Strange that Full Metal Jacket isn't described as being presented as "full aspect ratio of the original camera negative" while each film before and after it are described that way.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

On DVD, Barry Lyndon uses the AR of the original camera negative, about 1.5:1. On HD, they showed it in 1.77:1 (since my TV has overscan, it may have been 1.66:1).

Lolita and Clockwork are 1.66:1, but non anamorphic.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
They should replace the disc I got in my Kubrick DVD boxset for free... otherwise, I'm not gonna double-dip. It's not really a title I watch very often and my least favorite Kubrick film (and if released here, he would have made the changes anyways, even if not in the form presented, which has already been established).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I went region free in Dec and the UK EWS was on my list for purchase.

Ill wait and see what happens.

Id love for WB to change their rating policy.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
One thing I'd like to see on any re-release of EYES WIDE SHUT is the "Show-West" teaser trailer consisting of a longer-take of the "mirror" scene than exists in the final film. I really, REALLY hate the jump cut in the middle of this shot in the final film (a large chunk of the slow zoom-in was removed, and Tom Cruise's position changes COMPLETELY on the cut) and find it hard to believe that Kubrick intended the scene to play that way, it looks so sloppy.

Vincent

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
What JonZ means is that it was Morgan Creek that had the rights to release True Romance unrated (and with DTS). WB only had distribution rights.

Vincent Fok

Agent

Can't agree more, Vincent. In fact if the Sho-West teaser will be included on the uncensored version, it would be the only reason for me to quadriple-dip (after R1, R4, then R3). Even if Tom & Nic do another interview together I won't care more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks