What's new

International Eyes of Laura Mars (1978) is being released by Indicator/Powerhouse (1 Viewer)

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Q2XusCz.jpg

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High Definition remaster
• Original mono audio
• Audio commentary with director Irvin Kershner
• Making of documentary (1978, 7 mins)
Eyes on Laura Mars (1999, 8 mins): on-set photography with commentary
• Original theatrical trailer
• David DeCoteau trailer commentary (2013, 4 mins): a short critical appreciation
• Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
• New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Rebecca Nicole Williams, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
• World premiere on Blu-ray
• Limited Blu-ray Edition of 3,000 copies
• More TBC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B075DXVLSX

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't enjoy this film as much as I did when it first came out. I'll check my DVD before upgrading.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I love this one (but then I've always had a soft spot for overripe vanity productions!) and the DVD is from the late 90's I believe (it's one of the very first I bought and cost about $8 at the time) so this is an easy upgrade for me. I think it's both awful and wonderful and I've always loved it, even though it signaled the beginning (just) of Dunaway's slide into the self parody that infected her work throughout the 1980's.

Fortunately the disc is region-free and it's a really impressive little package. I just got mine over the weekend and the booklet (30 pages on heavy, glossy paper) is quite a treat. It's filled with contemporary critical essays and reviews and is complimented by some gorgeous stills and promo photos. It's really quite a "classy" presentation.

I have always loved the pure style of this movie. Because of the authentic location work, (no Boston/Toronto filling in for the big apple on this one) it plays these days like a valentine to that slightly seedy, slightly derelict, more than slightly "on heat," and now vanished New York of the 1970's. It's really a time capsule in the best sense and those stunning apartment interiors could have been created last week. Faye Dunaway is incredibly over the top (acting, always ACTING) but that just adds to the fun (as does the Streisand song over the credits!)

The opticals are really rough but it feels like a solid, organic transfer otherwise.

Here are some caps from Caps-a-holic:
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11085&d2=11086&c=4407

NOTE: If you're planning to buy it, do so directly from the amazon.co.uk site and not the US site. Amazon US is selling it as an import for $39.99 and I was able to get the disc from Amazon UK for $21 delivered.

Last edited:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
From the director of The Empire Strikes Back, for those living under rocks.

And based upon a treatment and script written by John Carpenter titled Eyes. He gets the first writing credit even though he wrote the original screenplay and not the rewrite which was the shooting script written by David Zelag Goodman. Still, enough of his source story must have survived the rewrite to allow for a "Screenplay by" screen and poster credit in addition to a "Story by" one.

f4348f88409538aafafc377e7e0f3024--cult-movies-art-house.jpg

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm just shallow enough to be slightly bothered by the Indicator blu-ray case that adds the rainbow at the top of that poster art. I know it's minor and I know that's their thing, but that stark, spare original poster art is so inspired (and why is she now looking UP instead of OUT?)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I'm just shallow enough to be slightly bothered by the Indicator blu-ray case that adds the rainbow at the top of that poster art. I know it's minor and I know that's their thing, but that stark, spare original poster art is so inspired (and why is she now looking UP instead of OUT?)
Well, Will, I guess you could always put a piece of black electrical tape over the rainbow band! (& yes, I know, it would be a different shade of black, which kind of defeats the purpose.)

Although I remember when they were shooting EYES OF LAURA MARS in my once seedy & cheap neighborhood on the Upper West Side, I've never actually seen this film, so I guess maybe I will now, if only for nostalgia's sake. Though I have a feeling that nothing in the film will be as unsettling as Ms. Dunaway's eyes in the poster.

(Speaking of Ms. Dunaway, I was at a J. Geils Band concert at the Syracuse War Memorial in 1974 the night Ms. Dunaway married J. Geils Band frontman Peter Wolf. Apparently, they were in the wedding suite of the Hotel Syracuse. Anyway, Peter Wolf had Ms. Dunaway come on stage to say hello, and she was pretty cool about it, and actually looked really happy.)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I had absolutely no interest in this movie when I went to see it on the theatre and will not be buying this blu ray. When I entered the theatre, 10 minutes before the movie ended, lo those many years ago, the usher suggested that I wait in the lobby so I did not spoil the surprise ending. I didn’t care and sat down immediately. He didn’t know what I came for.
A fanatic fan at the time, I went only to hear Barbra Streisand’s new song on the closing and opening titles. I later bought the sound track for this one cut.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to getting this. A stylish undervalued thriller by the underrated Irvin Kershner. The only downside is the crappy song by Streisand at the end (apologies, TJPC :)). I suppose one way of getting Streisand to sing the song for a movie she's not in is to be her boyfriend at the time (Jon Peters, the producer).

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I didn’t say it was a “good” song! :) You know how collectors are. I am still buying all her stuff and am picking up her latest release next week.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I didn’t say it was a “good” song! :) You know how collectors are. I am still buying all her stuff and am picking up her latest release next week.

Oh I totally get it. :) I'm a completist myself with certain actors and directors. For example, I have every Doris Day movie on DVD or blu ray except for one, Where Were You When The Lights Went Out, and that's only because it's not available. So I've got a few dogs in that collection like The Ballad Of Josie but I'm nothing if not loyal.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I suppose one way of getting Streisand to sing the song for a movie she's not in is to be her boyfriend at the time (Jon Peters, the producer).

According to Wikipedia, it was originally supposed to star Streisand.
But Harris's friend Jon Peters read the treatment, and upon reading it, he became enthusiastic about its potential as a vehicle for Peters's then-girlfriend Barbra Streisand. Peters got interest from Peter Guber at Columbia and they agreed to finance the project's development. Streisand pulled out of the film, but Columbia were sufficiently enthusiastic about the script to move forward with another actress and Faye Dunaway was cast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyes_of_Laura_Mars

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Watched this the other night. The fun thing about this is it seems to be an American film that is trying to be an Italian Giallo...and really that's as fun as it sounds. Usually it was the Italians trying to do their version of an American genre but here we get the reverse and even the writing seems to be trying to mimic the lunacy of typical Giallo dialogue.

If you want to own this film, this Indicator disc is the one to have. I would not wait on the Mill Creek. Beautiful transfer and nice location photography.

Is it a great film? No, but it is a lot of fun particularly if you enjoy a Giallo.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched this the other night. The fun thing about this is it seems to be an American film that is trying to be an Italian Giallo...and really that's as fun as it sounds. Usually it was the Italians trying to do their version of an American genre but here we get the reverse and even the writing seems to be trying to mimic the lunacy of typical Giallo dialogue.

If you want to own this film, this Indicator disc is the one to have. I would not wait on the Mill Creek. Beautiful transfer and nice location photography.

Is it a great film? No, but it is a lot of fun particularly if you enjoy a Giallo.
Yeah, I bought the Indicator disc a while back so I need to watch it in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks