Eye Sight Getting Worse By The Minute?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

In my teens (now in my early 20's) I never used to waer glasses. But in college, I started to sit behind the computer more and more, and eventually needed to start wearing glasses. Is staring at a computer monitor the cause of having bad eye sight? Just went to my eye doctor for a check up. Its only been a year, and my eyes got two steps worse. When does the degradation end? I wanna be able to see when I get older!! AHH! [​IMG]
    Chris

2. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Make sure when you're working on your computer to take your eyes off the monitor every few minutes and look at something far away - like a clock on the wall. Your eye does get tired focusing close all the time and it needs excersize. I'm surprised that your eye doctor hasn't told you this.

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I agree with James here. Computers are the new thing these days and often would be the source of patient's complaints.
    Your eyes aren't getting worse, you're just needing more correction than before. Meaning, when you were in elementary, use of your eyes were minimal because of the bigger letters in books, etc. As you go thru life, prints get smaller, you study more, use your eyes more hence your corrective lenses needing an "upgrade". One must remember that our eyes age as well. Like any other machine, more use means more maintenance. Also, the grades of eyes actually denote eye size. Bigger eyes equals nearsightedness, (-) prescriptions, smaller would be farsightedness, (+) presc.
    Now, we've found that moderate computer users need a low grade correction depending on the initial grade. But most of the time, eye exercises work better. Looking away for a minute or 2, "defocusing"....like you feel sleepy...would do wonders. There are a bunch of muscles all working, all coordinated to bring you one image from 2 eyes and that takes a lot of work!
    As James said, it is quite surprising your eye doctor hasn't told you this already......maybe you should get a second opinion?

4. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Christopher:
    My nearsightedness got much worse in the years following my employment at a computer company. That was in my 20's. I'm now in my 40's [​IMG] and my eyesight deterioration has seemed to stabilize.
    You said you went to your eye doctor, was this the optometrist at the mall or an ophthalmologist ? If you haven't seen an ophthalmologist and had your eyes dilated for a full exam, you might want to do that for some peace of mind. Another thing you might want to consider is contact lenses, I was told (don't know if this is true or not) that the eyes of people who wear contacts seem to stabilize sooner. That seemed to be the case for me.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    My eyes have gotten much worse since I started my desk job behind a computer. I finally went to the eye doctor and I had to get glasses for the first time. He said by focusing on near all day, your eyes don't get enough far adjustment and you become near sighted. Take breaks and look at distant things, he suggested looking outside at trees and such. Don't take a break from the monitor and read a paper or something because it's still near vision, focus on far away things during breaks.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    You need to step away from the computer at least every 10-15 minutes and go outside or walk around and look at BIG objects so your eyes get a balance.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

8. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the info guys. Thaat helps me out a lot.

I've considered getting contacts since I've also heard that they stabalize your vision; so I might look into that some more.

And thanks for the info about taking eye breaks. For the past 4 or 5 years or so of working on the computer, I've never done that.

Chris

9. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Hmmmm me confused. I thought near sightedness meant that you had a hard time to read near? I am not very knowledgeable on the eyesight thing, all I know is that I never needed glasses according to my eye doctor. Then after awhile I kept feeling tired (I stare at a computer all day) I couldn't read small print anymore etc etc. So I went to another eye doctor and got a prescription for +4 in my left eye and +2 in my right! From nothing to HUGE!!!
    Anyway, they never said look away from the screen. I can see far fine, I just can't read shit now without them.
    Movies I don't need them [​IMG]

10. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Sounds like you are farsighted.