Extrenal Hard Drive Help

Steve F M

Screenwriter
Looking to add a 500 GB External Hard Drive to my New Laptop to rip my Videos on. Will I be OK using USB 2.0 to transfer the videos back to Media Center for Playback or should I spend the extra cash and make sure the 500 GB Hard Drive has Fire Wire.

I guess a better question is will this work?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
USB 2.0 is faster than firewire. Only spend it if you're going back and forth between MAC environments. Otherwise, firewire has no use since all Windows based systems use USB 2.0.

Merlinium

Auditioning
Real Name
Merl
Hi there, I have several 300+GB external drives, I use both USB2 and firewire in my network. USB2 runs fine for streaming video across a network.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Just to fully answer your question, I am able to stream HD files from USB external drives over the network.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
On paper, maybe. Real-world test vary, but they're in the same general class, fast enough for this kind of usage. (Not fast enough for uncompressed HD production, for example.)

FireWire is still useful on PCs for capturing from camcorders and such, and other things.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

When I first got the drive, I did my own test with a timer transferring about 10,000 mp3s at once (it was very exciting). I forget the exact figures, but I remember the Firewire was faster so I've kept it hooked up that way ever since. YMMV.

Any increase can be pretty significant if your moving 100GB worth of files at once. Finally as the website I linked to suggests, make sure your laptop has the 1394/firewire plug.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would actually recommend buying a 500 GB internal harddrive and a seperate external enclosure with a fan or cooling unit. A lot of the external drives die quickly from overheating.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would look for an eSATA drive that has an option for either USB2.0 or Firewire. eSATA drives have the potential (and have already been shown capable of doing so) equaling the performance of internal drives.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthonydasher